Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
On Saturday Rob Heathcote’s stable ace Buffering will look to finally score a Group 1 win after nine previous attempts, and while the in-form four-year-old is favourite in the markets, can they salute for the punters and win the BTC Cup 2012 at Doomben?
Coming off a blistering seven length victory over the distance at Eagle Farm last week Mossman gelding Buffering is certainly in flying form and he is the class horse in the $400,000 Group 1 BTC Cup (1200m) with the two horses that beat him home in the classic 12 months ago, Black Caviar and Hay List, both absent this weekend.
Still Buffering won’t have an easy time from barrier 14 of 15.
So can the gallant galloper finally break through at elite level and hand Heathcote just his second Group 1 win as a trainer?
Or will Buffering be beaten home by another in a thoroughbred major for the 10th time?
Having gone over the 2012 BTC Cup form guide and the form of Buffering, below the Races.com.au team take a good looks at the pros and cons of backing the favourite in Saturday’s headliner in Brisbane.
#3 Buffering – Horse Facts
- Trainer: Rob Heathcote
- Jockey: Nash Rawiller
- Barrier: 14 of 15
- Weight: 58.5kg
- Owners: Mrs V Heathcote, S Krslovic, C Moore, R Ciobo, S Chipperfield, C Lord, Crafty Racing Synd, Aspariamo Racing Synd & B Harry
- Age: 4YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Mossman (AUS) out of Action Annie (AUS)
- Career: 24-9-5-4
- Prize Money: $1,451,400
- Win%: 37.50%
- Place%: 65.52%
- Last 6: 2×3231
- Current 2012 BTC Cup Odds: $2.60)
Why Buffering Can be the 2012 BTC Cup Winner
- Nash Rawiller rides for the first time since their second in the Patinack last spring, Rawiller is flying and so is the horse
- Have come oh so close to a Group 1 win many times before and look to face a lower class of rivals here than he has in recent elite levels
- Ran third in this last year behind the two best sprinters in the country
- Have come on since their 3YO season
- Come off a brilliant seven length victory over the distance (1200m) from last week
- Can handle all track types
- Favourites have a good recent record with two saluting in the past four years
- Has a good record at the track (5-2-0-2) and distance (16-5-5-3)
- Is one of only three horses to have won at the Track & Distance (3-1-0-2) along with Adebisi and Varenna Miss
Why Buffering Can’t Win the 2012 BTC Cup
- They don’t have a gate with work to do from 14 of 15; still barrier 14 has produced a BTC Cup winner unlike one wider
- There are plenty of speedy types on their inside and they need to get away without issue and stay out of trouble
- Is better suited to the spacy Eagle Farm track than Doomben
- Hasn’t raced at Doomben since their dead last finish behind Beaded – who they face on Saturday – in the Doomben 10,000 last winter
- Could be a better Place Bet as they have the fourth best place percentage of the field with 65.52% compared to a moderate Win Rate of 37.50%
Whether you are backing or sacking this year’s BTC Cup betting favourite the odds and markets you are after can be found online at bookmaker.com.au.
So Join bookmaker.com.au today quoting the code BONUSBET and you will also be rewarded with a $300 bonus bet to say welcome!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.