Anthony Freedman has the Brisbane Winter Racing...
After a narrow loss in the Adelaide Cup two back this Saturday Michael Moroney’s classy seven-year-old Drunken Sailor will race in another of Australia’s traditional two mile cup clashes when they run out one of the favourites for the Sydney Cup 2012 at Royal Randwick.
Due to jump at 3:35pm as Randwick Race 6 on Saturday this year’s $500,000 Group 1 Schweppes Sydney Cup (3200m) field features 16 top stayers and plenty of depth.
Three horses have been dominating the Sydney Cup odds at bookmaker.com.au with the Chris Waller-trained Chairman’s Quality champ Permit ($3.80), the well performing Niwot ($4.40) and Tendulkar gelding Drunken Sailor ($6.50).
After a close win in the Listed Roy Higgins (2600m) at Flemington on March 3 Drunken Sailor stepped up to the 3200-metres for the Group 2 Adelaide Cup.
Drawn in the extreme outside barrier 20 of 20 they gallant old galloper came within a long neck of victory when second to Rialya.
“He probably should have won the Adelaide Cup, he was forced to make his run a long way out,” Moroney said.
There were competitive again last start when beaten one and three quarter lengths by fellow import Manighar in the Group 1 The BMW (2400m), a tough ask coming back in distance.
They go back to the two miles on Saturday for the Sydney Cup with Damien Oliver riding them on 57kg form barrier six, and Moroney is confident they will get the job done this time.
“A plain little horse, a lovely horse to deal with and he just stays,” Moroney said when describing Drunken Sailor.
“On paper, the (Sydney) cup looks a three-horse race.
“Permit is the up-and-comer and has looked very good coming through the handicaps.
“He is meeting two horses coming out of The BMW, mine and Niwot.”
The other main danger for Moroney on Saturday is 2007 Melbourne Cup winner Efficient the great old grey paying $14 to return to their Group 1 winning form before retirement.
“His record past a mile-and-a-half gives him a chance but he hasn’t had an ideal preparation,” Moroney said.
So can Drunken Sailor atone for their Adelaide Cup loss and win the Sydney autumn classic on Saturday.
There is plenty of things working both for and against them and below the Races.com.au team take a look at some of them to help guide your Sydney Cup betting for 2012.
#2 Drunken Sailor – Horse Facts
- Trainer: Michael Moroney
- Jockey: Damien Oliver
- Barrier: 6
- Weight: 57kg
- Owners: T Bloom, J Higgins, G Peterson, G Ryan, Glenlogan Park Synd, Uthmeyer Racing & Oti Racing (MGRS: T HENDERSON & S O’DONNELL)
- Age: 7YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Tendulkar (USA) out of Ronni Pancake (GB)
- Career: 47-12-11-6
- Prize Money: $1,148,160
- Win%: 25.53%
- Place%: 61.70%
- Last 6: 032123
- Current 2012 Sydney Cup Odds: $6.50
Why Drunken Sailor Can Win the 2012 Sydney Cup
- Is ridden by Damien Oliver who won the 2008 Sydney Cup on No Wine No Song
- Drawn nicely in barrier six, not too far out or in
- Will appreciate the gate after jumping from 20 of 20 in the Adelaide Cup
- Is one of the few million dollar earners in this field
- Has the most experience over the distance with a good two mile record of 7-1-3-0
- Good form coming in beaten by two stars in Manighar and Americain when third in The BMW last start
- Their Adelaide Cup second was a beauty as they carried 59.5kg to the winner’s 54kg
Why Drunken Sailor Can’t Win the Sydney Cup 2012
- Is the 57kg second top weight behind Efficient (58kg) and gives lots of weight to some genuine threats including the Niwot (55k5kg) and the favorite Permit (53.5kg)
- A better place bet with their impressive 61.70% Place Rate
Read enough to suggest Drunken Sailor will make a good Win or Each Way Sydney Cup bet for this weekend?
Get a better price on whatever horse you’re backing in every race by betting online with bookmaker.com.au.
Remember to quote the codeword BONUSBET when making your first deposit as a New bookmaker.com.au customer to also have your account instantly credited with a $300 bonus bet!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.