Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The 2012 Schweppes Sydney Cup is the headline race running at Royal Randwick on Saturday and the race is shaping up as a three horse affair, but which of the top trio are the Races.com.au team tipping?
Set to run as Randwick Race 6 at 3:35pm the $500,000 Group 1 Sydney Cup (3200m) features 16 exciting stayers.
Current favourite is one of three chances lining up for last year’s winning trainer Chris Waller along with the reigning Sydney Cup champ Stand To Gain ($101) and 2011 favourite before their fall Hawk Island ($21), with the in-form former French galloper Permit paying $3.75 through bookmaker.com.au.
Big money bets have started to roll in now for another hopeful in the Sydney Cup betting markets and Niwot has had their price slashed from $4.40 to $3.80, Permit and Niwot set to fight it out form barriers three and two respectively.
The other looming danger at a better price is then $6.50 third favourite Drunken Sailor who was run down in the Adelaide Cup over the two miles two back with a big weight before their eye catching last start third behind star imports Manighar and Americain in The BMW.
So are the Races.com.au following the bookies’ markets and tipping the Sydney Cup trifecta to mirror the odds?
Or is there a longer priced stayer in the field we are tipping for an upset with talent like 2007 Melbourne Cup champ Efficient ($14), the Bart Cummings-trained Precedence ($11) and Gai Waterhouse’s 2011 Sydney Cup runner-up Older Than Time ($8) not without their claims.
Earlier in the week we published the exclusive 2012 Sydney Cup Form Guide & Betting Preview and based on the facts and stats revealed there below we have our specially rated Sydney Cup tips.
Randwick Race 6 Betting – 2012 Sydney Cup Tips
#2 Drunken Sailor ($6.50)
- Taking nothing away from the deserved favourite we think that Drunken Sailor has something to prove and will do it on Saturday
- Former Sydney Cup winning jockey with Damien Oliver (No Wine No Song, 2008)
- Loved their eye-catching second over the distance in the Adelaide Cup and The BMW third was a beauty
- They carry second heaviest with 57kg which means they meet Permit (53.5kg) much worse but they can handle it
- Good draw in six
- Best tried over 3200m with a win and three seconds from seven attempts
- They handle the weight they win
#8 Permit ($3.75)
- Deserved favourite with the right weight on the 53kg minimum
- Waller is after successive wins and could just get it if they run Drunken Sailor down like the lightly-weighted Rialya did in the Adelaide Cup
- Has winning form over many in this field
- Have seen up to 3100m and racing like they’ll get the two miles without issue
- Come off two wins in the NE Manion Cup and Chairman’s Quality, will take stopping but have they peaked too early?
#3 Niwot ($3.80)
- Big market mover in from $4.40 to $3.80 for a reason
- Need to avoid getting into trouble from the gate
- Come back from 59kg at their last four to 55.5kg on Saturday
- Fourth behind Manighar in both the Ranvet and The BMW at their last two
- Winning form over the two miles at stakes level
- A good eighth in last year’s Melbourne Cup
#9 Older Than Time ($8)
- Second in this race last year and looking in even better form this time
- Get in on the 53.5kg minimum
- Ran third and second to Permit at their last two, over more ground could get them?
Roughie We Like
#15 Peal Of Bells ($61)
They are really rough but hear us out…..
- Won the Queanbeyan Cup over 2000m last time out by four lengths
- Rise in class but aren’t just filling numbers
- Big step up in distance but have the style to get top four
- Highest Win Rate of the field with 40%
Whether you agree or disagree with our Sydney Cup tips and selections we guarantee you’ll get the best price on your Randwick bets online through bookmaker.com.au.
Right now is the ideal time to bookmaker.com.au as bookmaker.com.au have a $300 Bonus Bet waiting for new sign ups that quote the code BONUSBET!
2012 Sydney Cup Market Moves
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.