Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
It is probably the easiest race on the crack Sydney Cup Day program at Randwick on Saturday to pick, and while Pierro really does look hard to beat in the 2012 Champagne Stakes there is still a matter of the placings to pick which is where the Races.com.au team’s form guide and betting tips come in.
Gai Waterhouse’s Lonhro colt Pierro boasts a to date flawless career record of five wins from five starts and will look to go out for the season undefeated when they run in the $400,000 Group 1 Moet & Chandon Champagne Stakes (1600m) at 1:04pm on Saturday.
Really they have defeated much classier rivals than the eight fellow two-year-olds they meet at set weights conditions in the Champagne Stakes, a win in which will see them secure the autumn’s juvenile Triple Crown.
At his last two appearances Pierro has become a dual Group 1 champion with easy wins in both the iconic Golden Slipper and the Inglis Sires Produce Stakes.
They step up to the mile for the first time on the weekend but their record and class have ensured they are odds-on in the Champagne Stakes odds paying $1.35 through bookmaker.com.au.
“Pierro is the raging hot favourite to claim the triple crown, currently at $1.35 and could get even shorter,” Ryan Clark from bookmaker.com.au said.
So does the 2012 Champagne Stakes form guide, betting history and stats support a win by this shortie?
Where are the value bets at in the field and what is the Races.com.au team’s tips on this classic?
See below for the need to know info on the Champagne Stakes field followed by our insider selections for you to lock in at bookmaker.com.au.
2012 Champagne Stakes Form Guide Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Champagne Stakes winner was the Peter Snowden-trained Helmet who came off a win in the Inglis Sires Produce Stakes, jumped from barrier 6 (of 10) and was ridden by Kerrin McEvoy
- #1 Pierro ($1.35) vies for the same Sires Produce – Champagne Stakes double this year and has also drawn barrier six
- McEvoy will shoot for successive wins aboard #3 Limes ($9)
- #3 Limes is one of two in the field for last year’s winning trainer Peter Snowden along with #4 Tatra ($201)
- #1 Pierro is undefeated and so obviously boasts the highest Win and Place Rates with 100%
- The next highest Win Rates belong to #6 Rowie (50%), #2 Raceway (40%) and #8 Flying Snitzel (40%)
- The next best Place Percentages belong to #8 Flying Snitzel (80%) and #3 Limes (75%)
- Along with #1 Pierro there are two other last start winners in the field with #1 Flying Snitzel (Group 3 The Schweppervescence, 1400m, Rosehill, 07/04/2012), and #9 Dear Demi (Listed Fernhill Handicap, 1600m, Randwick, 21/04/2012)
- #1 Pierro (2-2-0-0) is undefeated at the track while #9 Dear Demi (3-1-0-0) is the only other winner at Randwick previously
- #9 Dear Demi ($21) has also won over the distance before and is the only one here to have done so
2012 Champagne Stakes Trifecta Tip
- #1 Pierro from #8 Flying Snitzel and #3 Limes
The winner is obvious in Pierro but the placings are tricky.
Flying Snitzel is a nice filly who gets the inside run from barrier one and adds value to the Champagne Stakes Quinella as a $12 chance.
Her last start win was good, although it was a few weeks ago, and she drops from 58kg to 54.5kg for this.
Snowden’s up-and-coming Commands colt Limes is a genuine threat for second. They were third in the Inglis Sires Produce last time out and look to have improvement, could just be a little tiered.
Wouldn’t be surprised if the other Waterhouse runner in Raceway gets up following their star stablemate through for a place. Their Golden Slipper fifth and Sires Produce fourth were both good.
Ready to lock in our Champagne Stakes tips at the guaranteed best prices?
Visit our No. 1 recommended online bookie bookmaker.com.au today and you will also be instantly rewarded with a juicy $300 Bonus Bet when you deposit and quote the code BONUSBET for the first time!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.