Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
This Saturday’s 2012 Sydney Cup betting favourite is the Chris Waller-trained Permit out to give their trainer back-to-back wins in the classic, but can they continue their good recent form against this big field of Group 1 winners over the two miles?
Five-year-old Dansili gelding Permit comes off two good Sydney wins this season and are the $3.60 favourite through bookmaker.com.au to make it three on the trot in the $500,000 Group 1 Schweppes Sydney Cup (3200m) this weekend.
After a tight win over fellow Sydney Cup rival Precedence in the Listed NE Manion Cup (2400m) last month Permit was last seen beaten another field of Sydney Cup hopefuls including Older Than Time in the Group 2 Chairman’s Quality (2600m) at Randwick a fortnight ago.
They step up to the 3200-metres for the first time since joining Waller’s operation last spring, the former French galloper drawn in barrier three of 16 for the Sydney Cup with Kerrin McEvoy to ride them on the 53.5kg minimum.
So can Permit bring it home for the punters and follow in their hoofsteps of their stablemate Stand To Gain, a $101 roughie to win successive Sydney Cups on Saturday?
Or will one of their classy rivals including narrow Adelaide Cup runner-up over the distance Drunken Sailor, the final Waller-trained chance Hawk Island or 2007 Melbourne Cup winner Efficient score an upset Sydney Cup result?
Below the Races.com.au team take a look at the evidence for and against a win by the Sydney Cup betting favourite Permit in 2012.
#8 Permit – Horse Facts
- Trainer: Chris Waller
- Jockey: Kerrin McEvoy
- Barrier: 3
- Weight: 53.5kg
- Owners: M Watt, P Barnett, M Burn, R Craigie, C Pidcock, Ms L Barker & Gurners Bloodstock Co Synd (MGR: A RAMSDEN)
- Age: 5YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Dansili (GB) out of Cochin (GB)
- Career: 18-6-2-3
- Prize Money: $354,356
- Win%: 33.33%
- Place%: 61.11%
- Last 6: 113311
- Current 2012 Sydney Cup Odds: $3.60)
Why Permit Will be the 2012 Sydney Cup Winner
- Is prepared by last year’s winning trainer in Chris Waller
- They are ideally weighted to win this on the 53.5kg minimum and meet their biggest rivals Niwot (55.5kg) and Drunken Sailor (57kg) much better off
- In flying form coming off the NE Manion Cup – Chairman’s Quality winning double
- Has beaten many of these before
- They way they’ve been racing they should get the distance
- Have raced up to 3100m before
- While their 33.33% Win Rate is only average, it is the second best in this field
- Has run and won at the track before
Why Permit Won’t Win the Sydney Cup 2012
- Is barrier three too close to the rails, need to avoid getting caught in traffic
- Better place bet? Only have a fare win rate of 33.33%
Sticking with the favourite and want to back Permit to win the Sydney Cup 2012?
We recommend you head straight to the country’s premier online bookie bookmaker.com.au who offer the best horse racing and sports betting odds.
Not only that, right now if you sign-up deposit and quote the code BONUSBET bookmaker.com.au will reward you with a $300 Bonus Bet!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.