While More Joyous and the imports threaten to steal the spotlight at Royal Randwick this Saturday in the Queen Elizabeth Stakes, the day’s marquee event is officially the Sydney Cup 2012, the form guide and Races.com.au exclusive betting preview for which can be found below.
Due to jump at 3:35pm as Randwick Race 6 the $500,000 Group 1 Schweppes Sydney Cup (3200m) is one of the few traditional two-mile cup showdowns still held in Australia, the most famous of which is of course the 2012 Melbourne Cup during the spring.
Among this year’s 16-horse Sydney Cup field is a former Melbourne Cup winner in Efficient, the gallant old galloper having won the 2007 edition of the ‘race that stops a nation’.
Current Sydney Cup odds at bookmaker.com.au have four horses at single figure odds, markets led by Chris Waller’s in-form former French galloper Permit at $3.60.
Other top fancies include fellow import Drunken Sailor ($6.50), the Hawkes-trained Niwot ($4.40) and Gai Waterhouse’s market mover Older Than Time ($8).
It is certainly an intriguing edition of the Sydney Cup playing out on Saturday and the best way to back the winner is to study the form, betting facts and historical statistics on this classic race.
That’s where the Races.com.au crew come in.
We’ve gone of the Sydney Cup field and form guide to come up with the below need to know info on the race before you Place Your Bets!
2012 Sydney Cup Form Guide Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Sydney Cup winner was the Chris Waller-trained Stand To Gain who was ridden by Rod Quinn, jumped from barrier four of 15 and came off a 10th in the Chairman’s Handicap and third in the NE Manion Cup
- #7 Stand To Gain ($101) is back this year to defend their title with Quinn riding them again
- Waller will also be represented in the field this year by #6 Hawk Island ($21) and the favourite #8 Permit ($3.60)
- #8 Permit comes off a winning double in the NE Manion Cup – Chairman’s Quality
- Other horses to contest both races in the lead-up to the Sydney Cup this year include #9 Older Than Time ($8) who ran third in the Manion and second in the Chairman’s, and #11 Solid Billing (11th and 8th)
- Last year’s winning barrier four this year also belongs to #11 Solid Billing ($71)
- Along with Waller’s trio other hopefuls prepared by a previous Sydney Cup winning trainer this year are #3 Niwot (John Hawkes), #4 Precedence (Bart Cummings), and the Gai Waterhouse-trained duo of #5 Once Were Wild ($26) and #9 Older Than Time ($8)
- Along with #7 Stand To Gain (Rod Quinn) other horses that will be ridden by a past Sydney Cup winning hoop this year are then #2 Drunken Sailor (Damien Oliver) and #4 Precedence (Craig Williams)
- #15 Peal Of Belles ($61) boasts the highest Win Rate of the field with 40% followed by #8 Permit with 33.33%, #3 Niwot (29.63%) and #5 Once Were Wild (29.17%)
- #9 Older Than Time has the best Place Percentage of the field with 66.67% followed by #2 Drunken Sailor (61.70%), #8 Permit (61.11%) and #15 Peal Of Bells (60.00%)
- There are two last-start winners in the field with #8 Permit (Group 2 Chairman’s Handicap, 2600m, Randwick, 14/04/2012) and #15 Peal Of Bells (Queanbeyan Cup, 2000m, Queanbeyan, 22/04/2012)
- Horses with previous winning form at Randwick are #5 Once Were Wild (5-2-0-0), #6 Hawk Island (12-3-2-1), #8 Permit (2-1-0-0), #7 Stand To Gain (7-1-0-1) and #11 Solid Billing (3-1-0-1)
- The best two mile records belong to #1 Efficient (1-1-0-0), #2 Drunken Sailor (7-1-3-0), #3 Niwot (2-1-0-0), #7 Stand To Gain (1-1-0-0) and #11 Solid Billing (3-1-0-1)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Sydney Cup tips and selections to be published shortly.
Already picked the Sydney Cup winner and want to back them now at the best prices?
Head to our preferred online bookmaker bookmaker.com.au and access not only the hottest horse racing odds, but by quoting the code BONUSBET you will also be able to cash in on their bookmaker.com.au!