Betting for the 2018 Group 1 $700,000 Altus...
Exciting gelding Bel Sprinter will be chasing a first Group 1 victory when he starts as favourite in the 2012 Galaxy (1100m) at Sydney’s Royal Randwick Racecourse this weekend.
Trained by Jason Warren, the four-year-old is the current top elect to take out the $350,000 event and is fresh off a fourth-place finish to Rain Affair in the Challenge Stakes.
After beginning the year with a one-length win in the WJ Adams and a reasonable sixth in the Oakleigh Plate, the son of Bel Esprit was talked about as a Newmarket Handicap front runner but was unfortunately scratched due to an injury to his hind leg.
Ben Melham has ridden the gelding in all of his races to date but he will be in new territory this weekend with Dwayne Dunn in the saddle when he jumps from barrier five.
With the track currently as rated a heavy and unlikely to improve too much by Saturday it will be interesting to see how the four-year-old handles the conditions, having only raced on good and dead tracks previously.
Bel Sprinter ($5.00) currently sits as bookmaker.com.au favourite ahead of three-year-old Nobby Snip ($6.00) who has been in sensational form.
Horse Facts – Bel Sprinter
- Jockey: Dwayne Dunn
- Barrier: 15
- Trainer: Jason Warren
- Owners: G Bailey, M Brown, R Clancy, W Ford, S Nankervis, W Patrick, N Theos & Y Warren
- Age: 4YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Bel Espirit out of Gavroche
- Career: 8 5-1-0
- Prize Money: $269,025
- Current Galaxy Odds: $5.00 atbookmaker.com.au
Why Bel Sprinter can win the 2012 Galaxy
- He is a natural speedster and has won at the Galaxy distance of 1100 metres before
- He has a great winning record of five victories from eight starts
- He comes into the race with a solid hitout under his belt after finishing fourth in the Challenge Stakes
Why Bel Sprinter can’t win the 2012 Galaxy
- Bel Sprinter has never won a Group 1 race
- He is unproven in the wet, having only raced on good and dead tracks
- He has an unfamiliar jockey on board with Dwayne Dunn racing on him for the first time
Think Bel Sprinter has the goods to take out the Galaxy? Or fancy one of the other chances? Whoever you are backing, be sure to visit bookmaker.com.au to access top value odds and take advantage of their $300 bonus bet offer.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.