The big one this weekend the punters are on is of course the Doncaster Mile 2012 and with the heavy track and a bumper field it’s a tough one to pick, so to help you back a winner below the Races.com.au tipster’s have made their insider Doncaster Mile tips and betting predictions public knowledge.
The field for this year’s $2 million Group 1 BMW Doncaster Mile (1600m) is down to 19 and the two original emergencies in Happy Trails and All Legal both gain a start.
It’s a start-studded line-up indeed with a plethora of Group 1 winners including a former Doncaster champ in Rangirangdoo, three of their stablemates, four for Gai Waterhouse who goes for her seventh, and two mares in More Joyous and Secret Admirer fighting for favouritism.
Randwick is going to race Heavy for Doncaster Day so it’s important to consider the muddies here.
More Joyous is going to have trouble breaking overcoming her Doncaster hoodoo despite what Waterhouse says, and for us it’s a case of history repeating itself for last year’s beaten favourite.
Still Waterhouse isn’t without a chance rain or no rain with her class colt Niagara out to atone for their last start, and Doncaster Prelude winner Fast Clip all but forgotten by the punters.
Secret Admirer is going to take some beating meanwhile, Grahame Begg’s last-start George Ryder Stakes third placegetter undefeated at the track and distance with two thoroughbred majors here.
There are plenty of livewire chances here including quite a few smokeys with other dangers including Myer Classic champ Hurtle Myrtle, mudlark Absolutely, Chipping Norton winner Shoot Out, and even $41 outsider Happy Trails.
So which horse do you back for the win? Who are the top place chances? Is a roughie worth a shot?
See below for our exclusive Doncaster Mile tips so you can head to bookmaker.com.au and lock in the top chances in Australia’s most prestigious mile feature.
Randwick Race 7 Betting – 2012 Doncaster Mile Tips
# Niagara ($9.50)
- Market Mover
- Right trainer in Waterhouse who has seven Doncaster wins and will have them fit
- Good form over the mile (2-1-1-0)
- 3.5 length Ajax Stakes win over 1500m at Rosehill two back was impressive
- Forget the George Ryder 12th, they were only four and a half away and unsuited to WFA
- Ready to bounce back
- Drop from 56.5kg there to the 52kg minimum on Saturday
- Wider barrier 16 (into 14) will suit in the wet
- They need room and get it at Randwick from that gate
- Tommy Berry sticks with
#10 Secret Admirer ($6.50)
- Outside gate and being the favourite (only five winning in the past 20 year) rules her out of the win, just
- She’ll go back, can she get there?
- Mares have a good record in the race
- Right distance (3-2-0-1)
- Undefeated at the track and distance with two Group 1 wins
- Third in the George Ryder was good
- Wet track form is decent
#6 Sincero ($8.00)
- Definite Each Way Chance
- Two from three over the 1600 metres
- Winner at the track and distance back in December 2010
- Craig Williams rides
- Barrier (6 into 5) too close to the fence?
- Third-up off two good runs with a Canterbury fourth to More Joyous when deep, George Ryder fifth just half a length away
Roughies We Like:
#13 Hurtle Myrtle ($11)
- Not real roughie but good value
- Good gate (14 into 12) to stay out of trouble
- Good record at Randwick (6-1-2-3) for a place
- Has won over the mile (at Group 1 level in the Myer Classic) and on Heavy ground
# Fast Clip ($31)
- Over the odds for us
- Will be fast out of the gate (4 into 3) and follow up More Joyous and Niagara
- Fit and from Waterhouse’s stables
- Ok on rain-affected
- Jim Cassidy rides and is confident
- Won the Prelude over this track and distance last Saturday
- Dual winner at Randwick
Whether you are sticking with our Doncaster Mile win and exotic selections, or have your own to lock in, make sure you get the best odds for Saturday online at our preferred online bookie bookmaker.com.au.
Now is the ideal time to Open as they are currently rewarding new depositing customers with a $300 Bonus Bet when they enter the code BONUSBET!
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change