Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
She has the support of the punters, a flawless record at the track and distance, and can handle the wet so can Secret Admirer combine all of this and beat home a big field in Saturday’s Doncaster Mile 2012?
Grahame Begg’s reigning Epsom Handicap champion Secret Admirer shoots for her third Group 1 triumph this weekend when she lines up from the outside barrier 20 of 20 in the $2 million Group 1 BMW Doncaster Mile (1600m) at Royal Randwick.
Begg and jockey Brenton Avdulla are unfazed by the wide draw of the classy Dubawi mare who comes off two narrow elite level placings, most recently third to Metal Bender and fellow Doncaster rival on Saturday Rekindled Interest in the George Ryder Stakes (1500m).
There is lots working in this one’s favour including the current Heavy rated Randwick track, explaining why Secret Admirer sits top of the Doncaster Mile odds through bookmaker.com.au at quote of $6 with Gai Waterhouse’s six-time Group 1 winner More Joyous.
With the rain yet to ease and another track downgrade a possibility, there is every chance that owner John Singleton will withdraw his glamour mare More Joyous from the Doncaster leaving Secret Admirer as the sole favourite.
So can Secret Admirer live up to the hype on Saturday, handle the conditions and maintain her flawless record over the Randwick mile with a Doncaster Mile victory?
Check out the evidence for and against her below.
#10 Secret Admirer – Horse Facts
- Trainer: Grahame Begg
- Jockey: Brenton Avdulla
- Barrier: 22 (into 20)
- Weight: 54kg
- Owners: Milburn Creek Thoroughbred Stud Syndicate (MGR: J L MUIR)
- Age: 4YO
- Gender: Mare
- Breeding: by Dubawi (IRE) out of Secret Illusion (AUS)
- Career: 14-3-3-5
- Prize Money: $1,016,530
- Current 2012 Doncaster Mile Odds: $6
Yes – Secret Admirer Will be the 2012 Doncaster Mile Winner
- For an Epsom Handicap winner she gets into the Doncaster extremely well in the weights with 54kg, More Joyous (bookmaker.com.au“) has 57.5kg while third favourite Sincero ($9) carries 55.5kg
- Brenton Avdulla has been aboard the mare for all but one of her 14 starts to date, he knows how to ride her and he knows how to win on her from any draw
- While on paper her outside gate seems a disadvantage, in the wet being out wide won’t hurt
- Good record at Randwick, two wins and a third from three attempts – same as her mile record
- Is undefeated over the Randwick mile, both her wins at the track & distance being in Group 1 company with the 2011 Epsom Handicap and the 2010 Flight Stakes
- Mares have a decent record with 23 wins over the years, most recently Sacred Choice last year
- Should handle the ground having run second on a Heavy (9) last August – the only time she’s seen a Heavy track officially
No – Secret Admirer Won’t Win the Doncaster Mile 2012
- Visitor’s Draw, she has work to do
- Has some classy fellow mudlarks to run down including Rangirangdoo ($10) and Absolutely ($26)
- Could be a better Place Bet with her place percentage being the second highest in the field (78.57%)
Think it’s Secret Admirer’s time to shine on Saturday after teasing her connections with a couple of close calls this season?
Get behind her, or any other Doncaster hope you fancy, at the guaranteed best odds through bookmaker.com.au.
Don’t have an account with Australia’s premier online bookie? Sign-up with bookmaker.com.au now quoting the exclusive codeword BONUSBET and you will enjoy a $300 Bonus Welcome Bet on the house!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.