The Chris Waller trained two year ods The...
This Saturday Gai Waterhouse’s stable ace More Joyous will shoot for her incredible seventh Group 1 title while her trainer vies for her seventh success in the 2012 Doncaster Mile, so will it be double 7’s for the duo or will the wet weather get the better of the mighty mare in the Royal Randwick classic once again.
Twelve months ago the John Singleton-owned superstar encountered a Heavy (10) Randwick track and stunning succession of wins came to an end when she ran 11th as the beaten Doncaster favourite.
More Joyous is out to atone for that loss this weekend when she goes to the $2 million Group 1 Doncaster Mile (1600m) for the second year in a row.
Also for the second year in a row she comes off the Canterbury Stakes – Queen Of The Turf Stakes winning double.
Unlike last year, however, Singleton won’t let a wet track beat the six-time Group 1 champion with More Joyous to be scratched from the Doncaster Mile field if the course doesn’t upgrade by jump time on Saturday.
The bookies are taking no chances and the punters are coming for her despite the wet and More Joyous is the current $6 co-favourite in the Doncaster Mile betting markets at bookmaker.com.au along with the Grahame Begg-trained Secret Admirer.
So can More Joyous win the Doncaster Mile 2012? Below we take a good look at the form, facts and stats supporting both answers to that question.
#2 More Joyous – Horse Facts
- Trainer: Gai Waterhouse
- Jockey: Nash Rawiller
- Barrier: 12
- Weight: 57.5kg
- Owners: Strawberry Hills Stud (MGR: J D SINGLETON)
- Age: 5YO
- Gender: Mare
- Breeding: by More Than Ready (USA) out of Sunday Joy (AUS)
- Career: 24-17-0-2
- Prize Money: $2,743,150
- Current 2012 Doncaster Mile Odds: $6
Why More Joyous Can Win the 2012 Doncaster Mile
- Has the right trainer with Gai Waterhouse out to equal the Doncaster Mile training record set by her father Tommy Smith of seven winners; Waterhouse’s previous Doncaster Mile winners are Pharaoh (1994-95), Sprint By (1996), Secret Savings (1997), Assertive Lad (2001) and Grand Armee (2003)
- Jockey Nash Rawiller is also a former Doncaster Mile winning hoop having saluted aboard Rangirangdoo in 2010
- Barrier 12 should work in her favour giving them options and keeping away from the choppy inside ground
- Is a six-time Group 1 winner and comes off a Group 1 win in the Queen of the Turf Stakes
- Has amassed over $2.7 million in prize money
- Boasts the highest Win Rate of the field easily with 70.83% and the best place percentage with 79.17%
- Is one of the market movers in from $6.50 to $6
- Mares have a decent record in the race with 23 victories including last year with Sacred Choice
- Blistering record at Randwick with four wins from five attempts
- Also a proven miler with three wins from five goes over the 1600-metres
- And boasts two wins from three starts over the Track & Distance, her only loss being last year’s Doncaster
Why More Joyous Can’t Win the Doncaster Mile 2012
- The wet, not only is her wet track record dismal (zero from two) but if it’s heavy she’s scratched and if she doesn’t run she can’t win
- If she does run on the softer ground there are rivals here better able to handle the conditions including Rangirangdoo ($10), Hurtle Myrtle ($13) and Absolutely ($34)
- Carries 57.5kg which is the second heaviest weight, she can handle it but she meets logs of classy types worse off with the likes of Sincero (55.5kg), Secret Admirer (54kg), King’s Rose (53.5kg) and Niagara (52kg) ready to challenge with light weights
- This race got the better of her last year, does More Joyous have a Doncaster hoodoo?
- History is against the Doncaster Mile favourites with just five winning in the past two decades
Read enough to back More Joyous to win the Doncaster Mile and want to lock her in at the hottest odds?
Whether you are betting for or against More Joyous on Saturday the Doncaster Mile betting odds and options you need are all in one place – bookmaker.com.au.
Join bookmaker.com.au today quoting the code BONUSBET and you will also enjoy a $300 bonus bet on the house!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.