The Doomben Cup 2018 takes centre stage in...
This Saturday the Roger James-trained Kiwi filly Silent Achiever will be out to secure a rare three-year-olds double across the Tasman by adding the 2012 Australian Derby in Sydney to her previous New Zealand Derby victory.
The smart daughter of O’Reilly won four Group races on the trot back home this time in, including a big two and a half length romp in the Group 1 NZ Derby (2400m) on March 3, before travelling down under for the Group 1 Rosehill Guineas (2000m).
After drawing wide in barrier 15 of 18 Silent Achiever and Hugh Bowman, who took over riding duties for James McDonald and retains the ride for Saturday, could only manage to finish a half-length away third as the beaten favourite in the Rosehill Guineas behind the Gai Waterhouse-trained winner Laser Hawk and fellow Kiwi raider Ocean Park.
On Saturday she will get her chance to atone facing both Laser Hawk and Ocean Park once again in the $1.5 million Group 1 David Jones Australian Derby (2400m), and James is confident she will turn the tables and get the job done this weekend.
“She’s one of only two in the race to have tried the distance and been successful at it,” James said.
“She’s better placed than she was in the Rosehill Guineas and this is a different race altogether.
“She’s created a fair bit of interest over here (in Sydney).
“She’s certainly bright and well going into it.”
It will be James’ second attempt at the NZ – Australian Derby double after his horse Roysyn won the 1995 NZ Derby before finishing fifth behind a star-studded top four with Octagonal, Saintly, Nothin’ Leica Dane and Filante in the Aussie edition four months later.
Silent Achiever will again start the punter’s pick having been backed in from $3.60 to $3.40 in the latest Australian Derby odds at bookmaker.com.au.
So can she win again for the girls following Shamrocker’s, another daughter of O’Reilly, success in the race 12 months ago?
Or will one of her 12 quality rivals claim an upset Australian Derby result?
Below the Races.com.au team take a good look into the pros and cons of backing the favourite in the Australian Derby markets this year.
#13 Silent Achiever – Horse Facts
- Trainer: Roger James
- Jockey: Hugh Bowman
- Barrier: 9
- Weight: 54.5kg
- Owners: K J Hickman
- Age: 3YO
- Gender: Filly
- Breeding: by O’Reilly out of Zabeel mare Winning Spree
- Career: 8-5-1-2
- Prize Money: $522,599
- Current 2012 Australian Derby Odds: $3.40
Yes – Silent Achiever Will Win the 2012 Australian Derby
- Is drawn in barrier nine which gives her jockey options
- The only filly in this year’s race, Shamrocker broke a 22-year drought for the fillies to win last year
- Shares the same sire O’Reilly as last year’s winner Shamrocker and comes off a third in the Rosehill Guineas as Shamrocker did 12 months ago
- Meets the boys 2kg better in the weights
- Is already a Group 1 winner having taken out the NZ Derby two back
- She is one of only two horses to have run and won over the distance
- Boasts the second best Win Rate (62.50%) behind Laser Hawk (80%)
No – Silent Achiever Won’t be the 2012 Australian Derby Winner
- Barrier nine – is it the best position for her?
- Was beaten by two smart horses in Laser Hawk and Ocean Park last start, was that luck Laser Hawk’s way and is she good enough to improve?
- Is she a better place chance in this big field of talented colts and geldings?
Whether you are backing or sacking the favourite the best Australian Derby betting odds and options can be found online right now at bookmaker.com.au.
So head to the country’s best bookie now and open your new account quoting the code BONUSBET to also enjoy a $300 Bonus Welcome Bet on the house!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.