Last year’s Stradbroke Handicap winner Impending...
They are one of the market movers and come off some promising form but can New Zealand visitor Ocean Park repay their connections’ late entry into the Australian Derby 2012 at Royal Randwick on Saturday and beat home the favourites?
Running as Race 7 at 3:35pm the $1.5 million Group 1 David Jones Australian Derby (2400m) this year attracted 13 hopefuls, three of which are at single-figure odds in the latest bookmaker.com.au markets.
Ocean Park is one of those, Gary Hennessy’s progressive Thorn Park colt having been well supported over the past couple of days winding in from $5 to $4.60 to become this year’s Australian Derby winner.
Saturday will see them have just their third start on Aussie turf since travelling down under originally only for the two big Sydney Autumn Racing Carnival Guineas.
They ran eighth in their debut down under behind Mosheen in the Randwick Guineas over the mile on March 17 with Craig Williams aboard before another ace hoop, Glen Boss, rode them to a much improved second to Laser Hawk in the Rosehill Guineas (2000m).
Appreciating the extra distance Ocean Park was the Rosehill Guineas eye-catcher coming from near last to cross just a long neck away second.
They get the chance to go one better on Saturday with Gai Waterhouse’s Rosehill Guineas winner Laser Hawk also backing up in the Australian Derby 2012.
Also in the Derby mix this weekend is fellow Kiwi raider, NZ Derby winner Silent Achiever.
Roger James’ O’Reilly filly, the only filly in this year’s Australian Derby field, is actually the $3.60 favourite to win after her game third from a horror gate in the Rosehill Guineas.
Laser Hawk is next in the Australian Derby odds paying $3.80 while Ocean Park, backed in from $5 to $4.60, is the third pick.
So will it be third time lucky for Ocean Park on Saturday?
See below for the facts and stats working both for and against Ocean Park to win the Australian Derby 2012.
#6 Ocean Park
- Trainer: Gary Hennessy
- Jockey: Glen Boss
- Barrier: 6
- Weight: 56.5kg
- Owners: A Wong, S Yan & G Hennessy
- Age: 3YO
- Gender: Colt
- Breeding: by Thorn Park (AUS) out of Zabeel (NZ) mare Sayyida (NZ)
- Career: 7-3-3-0
- Prize Money: $173,018
- Current 2012 Australian Derby Odds: $4.60)
Why Ocean Park Can be the 2012 Australian Derby Winner
- Should get a gun run from barrier six, the two better fancied hopes are out wider with Silent Achiever in nine and Laser Hawk double-digits with 11
- Comes off a slashing second in the Rosehill Guineas where they would likely have run down Laser Hawk and won with extra distance – they get an extra 400m here
- Breeding, being out of a Zabeel mare, says they will get the 2400m
- For the superstitious punters out there Ocean Park is Horse No. 6 in Barrier 6 and it’s his third race in Australia – third time lucky?
- Jockey Glen Boss is confident, so confident he convinced connections to pay the Derby late entry to get this horse into the field after riding them last start
- Boss rode last year’s Australian Derby winner Shamrocker to victory
- Is one of the market movers in from $5 to $4.60 so could be something there
Why Ocean Park Will Get Beaten in the 2012 Australian Derby Results
- Faces some stiff competition, Laser Hawk beat them home last time and Silent Achiever looks to have improvement
- The distance (2400m) should suit but you don’t know until they do it and Ocean Park is yet to see it
- Weren’t originally targeting the Derby and so might not be prepared and ready for this
- Did they peak last run?
It doesn’t matter whether you are betting inside of the top three chances or picking a double-figure roughie to get the job done in the Derby on Saturday, all that matters is that you lock in your picks at the best prices.
And there’s only one place in Australia that combines the hottest horse racing odds with a $300 Bonus Welcome Bet upon sign up – (Quote the code BONUSBET) – and that’s bookmaker.com.au!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.