Betting for the 2018 Group 1 $700,000 Altus...
One of the key support races the punters will be tuning in for at Royal Randwick on Australian Derby Day this Saturday is the 2012 Sapphire Stakes where Thousand Guineas winning filly Atlantic Jewel tops the tips and odds for her resuming run.
Due to run at 2:55pm as Randwick Race 6 the $175,000 Group 2 Yellowglen Sapphire Stakes (1200m) field is down to 13 but there is only one filly they want and that’s the Mark Kavanagh-trained Atlantic Jewel.
Undefeated in her stunning five-start career to date, which was cut short last spring with the daughter of Fastnet Rock suffering minor leg injuries, Atlantic Jewel was last seen beating a decent field by a more than decent seven lengths in the Group 2 Wakeful Stakes (2000m) at Flemington on Victoria Derby Day.
It is fitting then that the filly that beat home subsequent four-time Group 1 winner Mosheen, who took out the Australian Guineas – Rosehill Guineas – Vinery Stud Stakes triple this autumn, by three lengths in the Thousand Guineas last October should then return on Derby Day – ATC Derby Day that is.
The bookies don’t really care what else is in this field with Atlantic Jewel odds-on at $1.50 and firming in the Sapphire Stakes odds but is she the Races.com.au team’s tip as well?
See below for the fillies and mares we are backing, sacking and suggesting for value for the Sapphire Stakes 2012 before you head along to bookmaker.com.au and place your bets!
Randwick Race 6 Betting – 2012 Sapphire Stakes Tips
#2 Atlantic Jewel ($1.50)
- Odds-on for a reason and we’re not shying away even at the price
- Is she the best 3YO filly Australia has? Mosheen may currently be spruiked as that but only because Atlantic Jewel has been off the scene
- A Group 1 winner
- Won her last three during the spring by a collective 13 lengths
- Michael Rodd retains the ride and says she’s right
- She’s right, Rodd’s right and they cruise to victory
- Won over the distance and this looks the perfect first-up run for her
- Will she handle Sydney and specifically Randwick? More than likely
#3 Mid Summer Music ($16)
- Adds value to the Quinella & Exotics
- Has the draw (into 8)
- Black Caviar’s regular rider Luke Nolen in the saddle
- Ignore the William Reid Stakes seventh, she was against too good a field for her class
- Is second-up and that’s when she runs her best with a 2nd Up record of two wins from three attempts
- Sydney is the only question as she debuts here at career start No. 20
#1 More Strawberries ($11)
- Has the 58kg topweight to overcome, she handles it she is a genuine second place chance
- Inside run from barrier one, perfect for Randwick over this distance
- Has won on the track
- Good Win / Place Rate of 53%
- Waterhouse is firing
- She resumes after a big break and has a good first-up record (4-1-1-1)
Roughie We Like
#5 Celts (blink text=”$21″])
- It was narrow and she nearly didn’t get it but won the Group 3 Birthday Card Stakes over this distance last time out
- Some are sacking this one saying her last-start win wasn’t good enough for a 1200m at Randwick but we still fancy
- Run and won at this Track & Distance so a top four isn’t out of the question
See below for the full Sapphire Stakes fixed win odds courtesy of bookmaker.com.au so you can see what prices your favourites are paying.
Ready to lock in your Australian Derby Day bets?
Head to bookmaker.com.au now and access the premium odds from the country’s premier bookie and also enjoy a $300 Bonus Bet when depositing and quoting BONUSBET for the first time.
2012 Sapphire Stakes Odds
Royal Randwick Race 6 – 2:55pm – 14/04/2012
|1||MORE STRAWBERRIES (1)||11.00|
|2||ATLANTIC JEWEL (12)||1.50|
|3||MID SUMMER MUSIC (9)||16.00|
|6||GRACEFUL ANNA (14)||31.00|
|8||LADYS ANGEL (10)||26.00|
|9||BORN TO ROCK (2)||51.00|
|10||ROSE OF PEACE (3)||34.00|
|11||PHENOMENAL LASS (5)||61.00|
|12||MISS UPSTART (7)||201.00|
|14||BOUND TO BLUSH (8)||–|
*Fixed Win Odds provided by bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.