Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
They beat her home in the Rosehill Guineas last time out but after drifting in the markets Gai Waterhouse’s smart colt Laser Hawk is now playing second fiddle to boom Kiwi filly Silent Achiever in Saturday’s Australian Derby 2012 betting markets.
So can the Artie Schiller gelding retain their Group 1 winning form and hold off NZ Derby winner Silent Achiever and fellow Kiwi, Rosehill Guineas runner-up Ocean Park, in the $1.5 million Group 1 Australian Derby (2400m) at Randwick on Saturday?
Laser Hawk was originally co-favourite in the Australian Derby odds with Silent Achiever at a quote of $3.60 through bookmaker.com.au, however they have eased out slightly now the $3.80 second elect after drawing wide with barrier 11 of 13.
Silent Achiever in nine, meanwhile, has gained support firming in from $3.60 to $3.40 as has the Gary Hennessy-trained Ocean Park, drawn ideally in barrier six with Glen Boss in the saddle, in from $5 to $4.60.
Having gone over the Australian Derby form and field the crew at Races.com.au has come up with the evidence for and against Laser Hawk becoming the Australian Derby winner on Saturday.
#2 Laser Hawk – Horse Facts
- Trainer: Gai Waterhouse
- Jockey: Nash Rawiller
- Barrier: 11
- Weight: 56.5kg
- Owners: Gooree Pastoral Company Syndicate (MGR A BADDOCK)
- Age: 3YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Artie Schiller (USA) out of Canny Lad (AUS) mare High Heels (AUS)
- Career: 5-4-0-1
- Prize Money: $419,100
- Current 2012 Australian Derby Odds: $3.80
Why Laser Hawk Can Win the Australian Derby 2012
- Is proven in Group 1 company coming off a win in the Rosehill Guineas
- Has beaten a number of these rivals before including the favourite Silent Achiever and third elect Ocean Park in the Rosehill Guineas
- Boasts the highest Win Rate of the field (80%) having won four of their five starts to date
- Trainer Gai Waterhouse is in red hot form right now having won the Golden Slipper last Saturday and her current crop of two and three-year-olds is strong
Why Laser Hawk Can’t Win the 2012 Australian Derby
- Waterhouse is yet to prepare an Australian Derby winner
- Has work to do from double-digit gate 11, smart hopes including Silent Achiever (9) and Ocean Park (6) drawn closer to the rails, might not be able to hold them off in the end
- Is a market drifter – do the punters / bookies know something?
Read enough to suggest the Rosehill Guineas – Australian Derby double is Laser Hawk’s for the taking?
Or fancy another hopeful to get to the line first in Randwick Race 7 at 3:35pm on Saturday?
Get behind your Australian Derby betting favourites right now at bookmaker.com.au and enjoy the added bonus of a $300 Bonus Bet if you are a first time depositing customer quoting the code BONUSBET!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.