James McDonald will be hoping for a quick return...
This weekend Royal Randwick will host a bumper nine-race Group program headlined by a classic three-year-olds’ clash, the Races.com.au team’s exclusive 2012 Australian Derby form guide and betting preview found below.
Dedicated to helping our readers back a winner at the country’s leading online bookie bookmaker.com.au, we have gone over the form guide, race stats, betting history and more for the $1.5 million Group 1 David Jones Australian Derby (2400m) to uncover the best bets to place.
Running as Royal Randwick Race 7 at 3:35pm on Saturday, the Australian Derby 2012 field features 13 hopefuls.
In the mix are:
- 3 Group 1 winners
- 2 Last start winners
- 3 New Zealand raiders
- 2 Gai Waterhouse-trained hopefuls
- 3 Single-figure chances
- 1 Filly
- 1 $101 roughie
As you can see this year’s Australian Derby field is an intriguing one, and it is the New Zealand Derby winning filly coming off a Rosehill Guineas third, Silent Achiever, who currently sits top of the markets at a firming price of $3.40.
Rosehill Guineas winner Laser Hawk is the next best to back according to the bookies out from $3.60 to $3.80, while another Kiwi raider Ocean Park who ran a brilliant second in the Rosehill Guineas last start is seeing support from the punters in from $5 to $4.60.
So will one of the Rosehill Guineas trifecta take out the Australian Derby on Saturday?
Can the favourite salute for the punters and go back-to-back for the fillies?
Will Laser Hawk hand Gai Waterhouse her maiden ATC Derby victory?
Or can a double-figure roughie score an upset Australian Derby result?
To help answer these questions we have come up with the most comprehensive, need to know Australian Derby betting stats and form guide facts.
2012 Australian Derby Form Guide Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Australian Derby winner Shamrocker was the first filly in 22-years to win the race, she came off a Rosehill Guineas third and jumped from barrier eight with Glen Boss in the saddle
- #13 Silent Achiever ($3.40) is the only filly in this year’s race and she also comes off a third in the Rosehill Guineas
- Last year’s winning hoop Glen Boss will be aboard #6 Ocean Park ($4.60) on Saturday while last year’s winning barrier (8) will be occupied by #9 Hoylonny ($26)
- Other horses along with the favourite Silent Achiever coming via the Rosehill Guineas are #2 Laser Hawk (1st), #6 Ocean Park (2nd), #3 Strike The Stars (5th), #9 Hoylonny (6th), #4 Darci Be Good (10th), #5 Sabrage (11th) and #1 Sangster (16th)
- Along with Rosehill Guineas winner #2 Laser Hawk ($3.80) the other last start winner in the field is #8 Polish Knight (Group 2 Tulloch Stakes, 2000m, Rosehill, 07/04/2012)
- #2 Laser Hawk ($3.80) boasts the highest Win Rate by far with 80.00% followed by #13 Silent Achiever ($3.40) with 62.50%
- The highest Place Percentages then belong to #2 Laser Hawk ($3.80), #13 Silent Achiever ($3.40) and #11 Ethiopia ($14) all with 100%
- The only horse with previous winning form at Randwick is #4 Darci Be Good (4-1-1-0)
- #13 Silent Achiever (1-1-0-0) is the only horse that has seen the Derby distance (2400m) before
- #1 Sangster ($41), however, won the Group 1 Victoria Derby last year over 2500-metres, a race #5 Sabrage ($61) ran a good third in
- Two horses are prepared by a former Australian Derby winning trainer with #4 Darci Be Good (Bede Murray) and #8 Polish Knight (John Hawkes)
- Three hopefuls will be ridden by a pervious Australian Derby winning jockey with #1 Sangster (Jim Cassidy), #6 Ocean Park (Glen Boss) and #7 Rekindled Alliance (Corey Brown)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Australian Derby tips and predictions to be published shortly.
Already picked out the Australian Derby trifecta and want to lock it in at the best prices?
Head straight to bookmaker.com.au, the online betting agency paying out more money to its players starting with a $300 Bonus Bet upon sign up with use of the code BONUSBET!
2012 Australian Derby Field & Form Guide
Randwick Race 7 – 3:35pm – 14/04/2012
|1.||SANGSTER||T L Busuttin||Jimmy Cassidy||7||56.5||3yoG||14||$86,154||12: 3 2 2||25.00%||58.33%||1×8030|
|2.||LASER HAWK||Ms G Waterhouse||Nash Rawiller||11||56.5||3yoG||14||$83,820||5: 4 0 1||80.00%||100.00%||11×131|
|3.||STRIKE THE STARS||A J Cummings||Craig Williams||1||56.5||3yoG||14||$29,809||11: 1 3 1||9.09%||45.45%||5×5275|
|4.||DARCI BE GOOD||E B Murray||Luke Nolen||3||56.5||3yoC||7||$25,933||12: 3 2 1||25.00%||50.00%||x09605|
|5.||SABRAGE||M D Moroney||Glyn Schofield||13||56.5||3yoC||14||$30,433||10: 2 0 2||20.00%||40.00%||3×8640|
|6.||OCEAN PARK||G T Hennessy||Glen Boss||6||56.5||3yoC||14||$24,717||7: 3 3 0||42.86%||85.71%||121282|
|7.||REKINDLED ALLIANCE||Paul Messara||Corey Brown||5||56.5||3yoC||7||$20,075||8: 1 4 0||12.50%||62.50%||6×4622|
|8.||POLISH KNIGHT||“M, W and J Hawkes||Dwayne Dunn||2||56.5||3yoG||7||$24,145||5: 2 1 0||40.00%||60.00%||61291|
|9.||HOYLONNY||C J Waller||Michael Rodd||8||56.5||3yoC||14||$12,397||7: 2 0 2||28.57%||57.14%||x17346|
|10.||SATIRICAL BOY||Ms G Waterhouse||Tommy Berry||4||56.5||3yoG||7||$10,594||8: 3 0 1||37.50%||50.00%||x97116|
|11.||ETHIOPIA||P G Carey||Rhys Mc Leod||10||56.5||3yoG||29||$17,850||3: 0 1 2||0.00%||100.00%||332|
|12.||ON EVERY LEVEL||Scott Aspery||Jay Ford||12||56.5||3yoG||7||$4,104||7: 1 2 0||14.29%||42.86%||412267|
|13.||SILENT ACHIEVER||R A James||Hugh Bowman||9||54.5||3yoF||14||$65,325||8: 5 1 2||62.50%||100.00%||311113|
*Form Guide Credit – Ladbrokes.com.au
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.