Australian Cup runner-up Southern Speed gets a chance to again go head to head with Manighar in this weekend’s prestigious 2012 BMW at Rosehill Gardens.
The four-year-old lost by a nose to the Manighar in the Australian Cup and finished fifth to the star import in the Ranvet Stakes two weeks ago.
Southern Speed has been in reasonable form this year, winning her first-up start and running second to Black Caviar in the CF Orr Stakes prior to the Australian Cup.
She has her work cut if she is to win the $2.25 million event this Saturday, having to overcome race-favourite Americain as well as Manighar.
She will be ridden by regular jockey Craig Williams on Saturday and will come from barrier two.
Horse Facts – Southern Speed
- Jockey: Craig Williams
- Trainer: Leon Macdonald and Andrew Gluyas
- Barrier: two
- Owners: B H Perks, Miss A M Clough, T J Robertson, Mrs E A Robertson, R B Fairclough and Mrs B D Fairclough
- Age: 4YO
- Gender: Mare
- Breeding: Southern Image out of Golden Eagle
- Career: 18 5-4-1
- Prize Money: $2,376,850
- Current BMW odds: $9.00 at bookmaker.com.au
Why Southern Speed Can Win the 2012 BMW
- She has been in good form in 2012
- She will be ridden by the experienced Craig Williams
- She is proven in big races, having won the 2011 Caulfield Cup and finished second in the Australian Cup
- She has won at 2400 metres before
Why Southern Speed Can’t Win the 2012 BMW
- She has been unable to beat Manighar this year
- She is coming off a disappointing fifth in the Ranvet Stakes
- She is backing up two weeks after racing at a testing 2000 metres
Southern Speed is the current market mover at bookmaker.com.au who are offering the best odds on all the Rosehill action this weekend.
Sign up today as a new user quoting the code BONUSBET and you can take advantage of their massive $300 bonus bet offer!