This Saturday Sydney’s leading lady of racing Gai Waterhouse will launch a five pronged assault on the 2012 Golden Slipper seeking her fourth win in the world’s richest juvenile’s race, Pierro the best fancied of her contingent.
The $6 second pick behind Blue Diamond Stakes winner Samaready ($2.50) in the bookmaker.com.au markets for the $3.5 million Group 1 AAMI Golden Slipper Stakes (1200m) on Easter Saturday, Pierro certainly has plenty of pluses going into this.
The Lonhro colt is unbeaten, comes off back-to-back Group 2 wins against many of these same horses and has come up with the inside alley.
So can Pierro hand Waterhouse her fourth win in the Golden Slipper, her first since Sebring (2008) who was also unbeaten going into the clash?
Below the Races.com.au team take a look at the evidence for and against Pierro scoring an upset Golden Slipper result on Saturday and bringing an end to Samaready’s four straight winning streak.
#1 Pierro – Horse Facts
- Trainer: Gai Waterhouse
- Jockey: Nash Rawiller
- Barrier: 1
- Weight: 56.5kg
- Owners: G Kolivos & Mrs D Kolivos
- Age: 2YO
- Gender: Colt
- Breeding: by Lonhro (AUS) out of Daylami mare Miss Right Note (IRE)
- Career: 3-3-0-0
- Prize Money: $363,400
- Current 2012 Golden Slipper Odds: $6 @ bookmaker.com.au
Why Pierro Can Win the 2012 Golden Slipper
- The Waterhouse factor, Gai has won this race three times previously and looks overdue for another one
- The last time Waterhouse had five runners accepted for the Golden Slipper she ran the Trifecta, so surely Pierro is a chance
- Will get the inside run from alley one and if they get away nicely will have energy spare for a big finish
- Barrier 1 has the produced the most Golden Slipper winners of any gate with eight, the last being Crystal Lily (2010)
- Colts have the best record in the race with 24 previous winners, just holding the edge over fillies (23)
- Is one of three undefeated horses in the race along with the favourite Samaready and the fellow Waterhouse-trained Driefontein
- Waterhouse’s last Golden Slipper winner was Sebring who was also unbeaten going into the Slipper
- Is undefeated at Rosehill with two wins, both last month firstly in the Group 2 Silver Slipper Stakes and then the Group 2 Todman Stakes
- Is one of four horses to have won at the track and distance before
Why Pierro Can’t Be the Golden Slipper 2012 Winner
- Barrier one may not actually suit this horse, if they get caught up without a clear run it’s over
- Samaready will take some beating and he hasn’t seen her before
- Waterhouse has five chances, is Pierro the best of these?
- Only just held on to defeat fellow Golden Slipper rival Epaulette ($6.50 bookmaker.com.au) last start, need a big run to hold them off again
Think Pierro has what it takes to beat this field and win the lucrative Golden Slipper first prize?
Whether you are betting on Pierro, sticking with the favourite Samaready or tipping another of Waterhouse’s hopefuls, the Golden Slipper odds you want are available online at bookmaker.com.au.
Don’t have an account with the Australian-owned and trusted bookmaker.com.au yet?
Sign up today, it only takes two minutes, and when you make your first investment quote the limited time only code BONUSBET to receive a $300 Bonus Bet to say welcome!