This Easter Saturday ace Sydney trainer Peter Snowden will attempt to go back-to-back in the world’s most lucrative two-year-olds’ race, the Golden Slipper 2012, Epaulette the best backed of his two hopefuls.
Twelve months ago Snowden’s now overseas-raced star Sepoy did what no horse had done in 22 years, scored the Blue Diamond Stakes – Golden Slipper double.
A year on and Snowden is back ready to saddle up two juvenile’s in the 56th edition of the $3.5 million Group 1 AAMI Golden Slipper (1200m) with Epaulette ($7 bookmaker.com.au) and Narcissus ($31 bookmaker.com.au).
Epaulette is in fact the third elect in the Golden Slipper odds this year trailing only reigning Blue Diamond champ Samaready ($2.50) and the Gai Waterhouse-trained Pierro ($6).
There is certainly a lot to like about Epaulette’s lead-up form for the Slipper, including their very close second to Pierro last start in the Group 2 Todman Stakes at the track and distance.
So will Epaulette emulate their famous older stablemate and win the Golden Slipper for Snowden?
Or is there better value elsewhere in the Golden Slipper betting markets?
Check out the pros and cons for Epaulette to win the 2012 Golden Slipper before placing your bets at the bookie that rewards its players better – bookmaker.com.au.
#2 Epaulette – Horse Facts
- Trainer: Peter Snowden
- Jockey: Kerrin McEvoy
- Barrier: 4
- Weight: 56.5kg
- Owners: Sheikh Mohammed
- Age: 2YO
- Gender: Colt
- Breeding: by Commands (AUS) out of Singspiel mare Accessories (GB)
- Career: 3-2-1-0
- Prize Money: $252,500
- Current 2012 Golden Slipper Odds: $7 @ bookmaker.com.au
Yes – Epaulette Can Score an Upset 2012 Golden Slipper Result
- Is prepared by the right trainer with Snowden having prepared last year’s Golden Slipper winner Sepoy
- Comes off the right form as Sepoy also ran second in the Todman Stakes before their Slipper success
- Kerrin McEvoy rides, the jockey aboard Sepoy in the Slipper 12 months ago
- Their Todman second was an eye-catcher, came within a short half-head of Raceway who is rated a $15 Golden Slipper chance at bookmaker.com.au
- Big winner at the Golden Slipper barrier draw with gate four, one of the most successful barriers in history having produced five Golden Slipper winners before most recently the Gai Waterhouse-trained Sebring (2008)
- Is the right sex as a colt, colts have won 24 of the past 55 Golden Slippers
- Has a nice Rosehill race record (2-1-1-0) and is one of only four horses to have won at the track and distance before
No – Epaulette Won’t be the 2012 Golden Slipper Winner
- Faces some classy rivals here including the deserving $2.50 bookmaker.com.au favourite Samaready
- Some speedsters drawn inside them with the Gai Waterhouse-trained duo of Pierro (1) and No Looking Back (3), will need to get away well to beat them to a nice spot
- Could be a better place chance as they face three unbeaten horses, but boast the next best Win Rate of 66.67% along with Raceway
Fancy Epaulette to win successive Slippers for Snowden?
Whether you are backing or sacking the favourite, going for value or locking in an exotic Australia’s No. 1 online bookie bookmaker.com.au have you covered.