Clear-cut favourite to win the 56th edition of the world’s richest juvenile’s race this Saturday, Mick Price’s undefeated filly Samaready has come up with gate 11, the 2012 Golden Slipper Barrier Draw taken live at the Museum of Contemporary Art at midday today.
Earlier this morning a full field of 16 two-year-olds vying to join the prestigious list of Golden Sipper winners was announced for the $3.5 million Rosehill Gardens classic this Easter Saturday, the second time in history the race has fallen on Easter Saturday, Blue Diamond Stakes winner Samaready dominating the Golden Slipper odds at bookmaker.com.au following the non-acceptance of Black Caviar’s boom half-brother All Too Hard.
The barrier for Samaready wasn’t ideal, but was not the worst and while she will have work to do and may ease in her favouritism in the Golden Slipper markets, connections indicated between barrier eight and 12 would work in her favour.
Sydney’s leading lady of Gai Waterhouse has a strong hand in the 2012 Golden Slipper field this year with an incredible five entries.
Saturday will see Waterhouse vie for her fourth Golden Slipper success following wins with Sebring (2008), Dance Hero (2004) and Ha Ha (2001).
Waterhouse’s five-strong contingent had mixed results with the Golden Slipper barriers:
- #1 Pierro – (Barrier 1) Will be ridden by Nash Rawiller, is the best fancied of Waterhouse’s hopefuls at around $6 in the Golden Slipper markets and unsurprisingly looking at their three-from-three record that includes the Silver Slipper Stakes – Todman Stakes double
- #3 Raceway (Barrier 9) To be ridden by Hugh Bowman, this son of More Than Ready wont their opening two at Warwick Farm before finishing second to fellow Slipper fancy Ashokan in the Skyline Stakes last time out
- #10 No Looking Back (Barrier 3) Ace jockey Craig Williams to ride, one of eight fillies vying for the Golden Slipper title this year, hasn’t been seen since her second to Golden Slipper favourite Samaready in the Blue Diamond Stakes when beaten three lengths.
- #11 Driefontein (Barrier 8) Tommy Berry has the ride on the Magic Millions Classic winner who took her unbeaten record to four with a close win in the Widden Stakes (1100m) at Warwick Farm on February 18
- #16 Later Gator (Barrier 10) Just snuck into the Golden Slipper field, Black Caviar’s regular rider Luke Nolen has been booked for the ride on this More Than Ready filly who comes off a close fifth to Ichihara in the Magic Might Stakes at the track and distance last Saturday
Peter Snowden’s duo of Todman Stakes runner-up Epaulette, one of the top fancies in the Golden Slipper odds, and outsider in the betting Narcissus have drawn barriers 4 and 12 respectively.
Snowden is attempting back-to-back Golden Slipper victories after his former champion colt Sepoy, now raced overseas for Godolphin, won the race 12 months ago from barrier eight (of 14) with Kerrin McEvoy aboard, Epaulette a great chance from their ideal barrier four draw.
Last year’s winning Golden Slipper barrier eight belongs to Driefontein on Saturday to while McEvoy will seek successive Slippers with the aforementioned Epaulette.
Randwick horseman John O’Shea will also be dually represented in this year’s Golden Slipper field, his hopefuls Faustus (barrier 13) and Ashkon (barrier 14) paying $101 and $26 respectively in the markets.
More Than Ready colt Faustus will be ridden by Jim Cassidy, who rode Waterhouse’s first Golden Slipper winner Ha Ha to victory in 2001, while ace New Zealand hoop James McDonald comes over for the Golden Slipper ride on Skyline Stakes winner Ashokan.
Golden Slipper late entry Doubtfilly, meanwhile, has drawn ideally in barrier six.
Trainer and part-owner Stuart Kendrick made a gamble with the Mackay-based filly’s other connections yesterday paying a hefty $150,000 to get Doubtfilly into the Golden Slipper field.
A winner of four of her seven starts to date, the $17,500 bargain buy made her interstate debut last Saturday running less than a length away fourth in the Magic Night Stakes.
The big loser from the Golden Slipper barrier draw was the Chris Waller-trained Sweet Embrace Stakes winner Jade Marauder who came up with the outside barrier 16.
The Golden Slipper barrier draw is sure to have an impact on the odds for this great race, as the ATC CEO Darren Pearce grandly stated it is “the most important barrier draw in Australian racing.”
Updated Golden Slipper betting markets are due to open at our preferred online bookmaker bookmaker.com.au shortly so make sure you’re ready to get your Easter Saturday bets down by signing up with them today!
2012 Golden Slipper Barrier Draw & Field
Rosehill Gardens – 07/04/2012
|1.||PIERRO||Nash Rawiller||Gai Waterhouse||1||56.5kg|
|2.||EPAULETTE||Kerrin McEvoy||Peter Snowden||4||56.5kg|
|3.||RACEWAY||Hugh Bowman||Gai Waterhouse||9||56.5kg|
|4.||AMORINO||Steven Arnold||Geral Ryan||2||56.5kg|
|5.||FAUSTUS||Jim Cassidy||John O’Shea||13||56.5kg|
|6.||ASHOKAN||James McDonald||John O’Shea||14||56.5kg|
|7.||NARCISSUS||Peter Robl||Peter Snowden||12||56.5kg|
|8.||SHELFORD||Brett Prebble||John O’Shea||15||56.5kg|
|9.||SAMAREADY||Craig Newitt||Mick Price||11||54.5kg|
|10.||NO LOOKING BACK||Craig Williams||Gai Waterhouse||3||54.5kg|
|11.||DRIEFONTEIN||Tommy Berry||Gai Waterhouse||8||54.5kg|
|12.||JADE MARAUDER||Glyn Schofield||Chris Waller||16||54.5kg|
|13.||SNITZERLAND||Corey Brown||Gerald Ryan||7||54.5kg|
|14.||CAVALRY ROSE||Christian Reith||Gerald Ryan||5||54.5kg|
|15.||DOUBTFILLY||Damien Oliver||Stuart Kendrick||6||54.5kg|
|16.||LATER GATOR (NZ)||Luke Nolen||Gai Waterhouse||10||54.5kg|