Recently inducted Hall Of Fame trainer Chris...
Gai Waterhouse’s up-and-coming three-year-old Laser Hawk is the best fancied of the Aussie contingent in this Saturday’s 2012 Rosehill Guineas, so can the local Sydney galloper hold off the favoured Kiwi and keep the trophy at home?
All the rage in the bookmaker.com.au markets for the $500,000 Group 1 Rosehill Guineas (2000m) this year is for New Zealand-trained filly Silent Achiever ($4.20) who is looking to back up from her NZ Derby success and take out the Sydney classic the way fellow Kiwi Jimmy Choux did last autumn.
Following Silent Achiever in the Rosehill Guineas odds is then Laser Hawk, the Artie Schiller gelding paying $5.50 to score an upset win in Rosehill Race 7 on Saturday.
With the favourite out wide in 17, Laser Hawk from their single-digit gate surely stands a chance for trainer Gai Waterhouse and jockey Nash Rawiller, especially after their eye-catching third to Mosheen in the Group 1 Randwick Guineas (1600m) last start.
Having done the Rosehill Guineas form and gone over Laser Hawks’ career, the Races.com.au team below lists the evidence for and against backing them for the win on Saturday through bookmaker.com.au.
#13 Laser Hawk – Horse Form
- Trainer: Gai Waterhouse
- Jockey: Nash Rawiller
- Barrier: 9 (into 8 without emergencies)
- Weight: 56.5kg
- Owners: Gooree Pastoral Company Syndicate (MGR A BADDOCK)
- Age: 3YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Artie Schiller (USA) from Canny Lad mare High Heels (AUS)
- Career: 4-3-0-1
- Prize Money: $114,100
- Current 2012 Rosehill Guineas Odds: $5.50 @ bookmaker.com.au
Yes – Laser Hawk Can Be the 2012 Rosehill Guineas Winner
- The favourite Silent Achiever ($4.20 bookmaker.com.au) is drawn wide and the horse that beat them home last-start, Randwick Guineas runner-up Said Com ($11 bookmaker.com.au) has the far outside gate, so Laser Hawk in barrier 9 (or 8) should get a gun run
- Boasts the best Winning Strike Rate of this field with 75% having won three of their four career starts
- One of only three horses in the field prepared by a previous Rosehill Guineas winning trainer in Gai Waterhouse
- Is also ridden by a former Rosehill Guineas winning jockey with Nash Rawiller in the saddle, Rawiller also rode them last start so should have a feel for the horse in an elite level field
- Has run and won at the track before when enjoying a strong first-up victory over Said Com on February 25
No – Laser Hawk Can’t Be the 2012 Rosehill Guineas Winner
- They are yet to race over further than a mile so how they handle the 400-metres extra is crucial, they also face plenty of youngsters that have seen and won over the distance before
- Need to beat Silent Achiever and she will take some beating
- There are a few unknowns in this field that could prove the smokey bet of the day so how a shortie will fair is up in the air
Read enough to suggest Laser Hawk makes a nice win bet on the Rosehill Guineas this Saturday? Back him now, or one of the other hopefuls, at the best prices through our No. 1 recommended online bookie bookmaker.com.au.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.