Early entries and odds for the upcoming 2012 WATC Derby in Perth have now been released, Vaughn Sigley’s promising Blackfriars colt Rohan topping the early markets for the Ascot feature.
Set to run at Ascot on Saturday April 14, the $400,000 Group 2 W.A.T.C. Derby (2400m) attracted 78 nominations, five of which have since been ruled out of contention.
Current leader in the WATC Derby odds at bookmaker.com.au paying $5 is Rohan, the youngster last seen winning the Listed J.C. Roberts Stakes (1800m) at Ascot on March 17.
In what is shaping up as an open WATC Derby betting market, five other runners are now under double-figures to win with:
- Rock Band ($7 bookmaker.com.au) – Dan Morton’s four length Ascot winner over the mile two starts back last seen finishing third in the JC Roberts Stakes and tipped to improve over more distance
- Flag Officer ($8 bookmaker.com.au – Ran a devastatingly close second to Rohan in the JC Roberts before which they showed great form with their Magic Millions second, Challenge Stakes third and win in the Listed TJ Smith Trophy (1600m)
- Keepers Court ($8 bookmaker.com.au) – Progressive Keeper colt won their first two starts of last spring by a cumulative six and a half lengths, also enjoyed a close second in both the Listed Aquanita Stakes and WA St Leger over 1800m and 2100m respectively during the summer, yet to race in 2012
- Pop Culture ($8 bookmaker.com.au) – Best fancied filly, this daughter of Blackfriars has won three of her five starts for the eyar including the Listed Ascot 1000 Guineas (1800m), last seen running second to
Caiguna in the Listed Natasha Stakes (2200m) on March 17
- Caiguna ($9 bookmaker.com.au) – Fred Kersley’s Natasha Stakes winning Dubai Destination filly out to emulate Dreamaway who won the Natasha Stakes three runs into a stunning five straight winning sequence that included the WA Oaks – WATC Derby double last year, the Derby then holding Group 1 status
Other notable hopes include the Peter Snowden-trained Sydneysider Chateau Margaux, Natasha Stakes fourth placed Elite Belle, Peter Moody’s Melbourne galloper Vatuvei and Trevor Andrews‘ Group 1 tried King Saul.
Flying Pegasus gelding King Saul, however, has been ruled out of a WATC Derby acceptance, the 2011 WA Guineas winner returning from a testing interstate campaign.
Third to Playing God in last year’s Group 1 Kingston Town Classic, King Saul was sent to Sydney this prep but they failed to finish better in their three failed assignments.
They were last seen finishing dead last when crossing 37 lengths off the stand out winner Mosheen in the Group 1 Randwick Guineas (1600m) on March 17 where he didn’t let down in the wet conditions.
“Rodd (Michael, jockey) said he didn’t handle the track conditions at all and when he got a knock on his leg, he eased him down,” King Saul’s owner Craig Thompson said of their Randwick Guineas run.
“He had a bit of filling in the leg but apart from that he’s all right.
“We’ll leave him over there (Sydney) for a week to let down and then he’ll come home for a spell and be aimed at the Railway and Kingston Town.”
The next lead-up race for WATC Derby-bound three-year-olds runs at Ascot this Saturday with the $80,000 Listed Melvista Stakes (2200m) for colts and geldings.
One WATC Derby nominee looking to improve their credentials with a Melvista Stakes win is the Frank Manyard-trained Uncle George, currently a $51 roughie in the WATC Derby odds at bookmaker.com.au.
The Bletchley Park gelding has won two of their six starts to date but has been well beaten in their three most recent runs including their eighth in the JC Roberts.
Check out the full list of 2012 WATC Derby entries and prices available now at our No. 1 recommended online bookie bookmaker.com.au and discover a better way to bet starting with their juicy $300 Bonus Welcome Bet!
2012 WATC Derby Odds
Ascot – 14/04/2012
|ROCK BAND||7.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|FLAG OFFICER||8.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|KEEPERS COURT||8.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|POP CULTURE||8.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|CHATEAU MARGAUX||11.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|KING SAUL (Unlikely)||14.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|ELITE BELLE||15.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|ELUSIVE IMAGE||18.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|BLISS STREET (Unlikely)||21.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|DASH FOR HOME||21.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|OPERA SERIA||21.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|REIGN OF TERROR||21.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|ROCK HIT||21.00 bookmaker.com.au|
*Fixed Win Odds Top 17 only & subject to change – see bookmaker.com.au for updates and to bet now!