Nominations for this Saturday’s sole Group 1 feature, the 2012 Rosehill Guineas in Sydney, have been released with 23 smart three-year-olds vying for a spot in the final field.
Won 12 months ago by boom Kiwi visitor Jimmy Choux, this year’s edition of the $500,000 Group 1 Rosehill Guineas (2000m) could feature as many as four New Zealand-trained hopefuls looking to go back-to-back for the Kiwis.
Last year the John Bary-trained Jimmy Choux came off four straight wins back home, including the Group 1 New Zealand Derby (2400m), before taking out the Rosehill Guineas in his Australian debut.
This year Roger James’ O’Reilly filly Silent Achiever is on a very similar campaign trail and is sure to be well liked in the Rosehill Guineas odds at bookmaker.com.au.
Like subsequent Cox Plate runner-up Jimmy Choux, Silent Achiever has won four on the trot in her native New Zealand leading into the Rosehill Guineas.
Two of those races were the same as Jimmy Choux with the Group 3 Waikato Guineas (2000m) last month and most recently the Group 1 New Zealand Derby (2400m).
Her New Zealand Derby victory was historical in that Silent Achiever, to be ridden by Hugh Bowman on Saturday, became the first filly in nearly two decades to defeat the boys in the elite level at Ellerslie.
“She is not there (in Australia) yet but she will be ready to go when she arrives on Tuesday,” James said.
“She is going to have to step up to another level, and it is hard to get a line on the form compared to over there.
“Ocean Park is only real measuring stick we have and I’m not sure how he went the other day (in the Randwick Guineas).”
The other Kiwi-trained three-year-olds among the 2012 Rosehill Guineas nominations are then Thorn Park colt Ocean Park who ran two and a half lengths away eighth to Mosheen in the Group 1 Randwick Guineas (1600m) on March 17, Jason Bridgman’s NZ Derby runner-up Rock ‘n’ Pop and Trent Busuttin’s reigning Victorian Derby winner Sangster.
It is a star-studded list of Rosehill Guineas nominees this year with other notable entries including:
- Doctor Doom (Guy Walter) – Winner of the Group 1 Spring Champion Stakes (2000m) during the spring, was disappointing last-start when 13th in the Randwick Guineas but looking to improve with the step up in distance
- Highly Recommended (Peter Moody) – Fastnet Rock colt came home strong to win the Group 2 Alister Clark Stakes over 2040m at the Valley on March 16
- Laser Hawk (Gai Waterhouse) – Won their opening three career starts before finishing an eye-catching third just half a length off Mosheen in the Randwick Guineas, yet to see the 2000-metres
- Said Com (Chris Waller) – Randwick Guineas runner-up did everything right last start and looks to have improvement in them, a son of O’Reilly so distance should suit
- Strike The Stars (Anthony Cummings) – Runner-up to Mosheen in the Australian Guineas before their seventh in the Randwick Guineas, looking to bounce back
Stay tuned to Races.com.au throughout the week for all the latest Rosehill Guineas updates including the final field and barrier draw on Wednesday.
In the meantime, get ready to back a winner this weekend by opening your new account with the best bookie in the business – bookmaker.com.au – and when you do make sure you quote BONUSBET to receive a $300 Bonus Welcome Bet upon sign-up!
2012 Rosehill Guineas Nominations
Rosehill Gardens – 31/03/2012
|2||BIG TIME||Chris Waller||75|
|3||DARCI BE GOOD (NZ)||Bede Murray||90|
|4||DOCTOR DOOM||Guy Walter||92|
|7||HIGHLY RECOMMENDED||Peter G Moody||95|
|10||ISOPACH||John P Thompson||–|
|11||LASER HAWK||Gai Waterhouse||92|
|12||MERLIN MUSTANG||Michael J Murphy||78|
|13||OCEAN PARK (NZ)||Gary Hennessy||90|
|14||ON EVERY LEVEL||Scott Aspery||66|
|16||REKINDLED ALLIANCE||Paul Messara||–|
|17||ROCK ’N’ POP||Jason Bridgman||–|
|19||SAID COM (NZ)||Chris Waller||94|
|20||SANGSTER (NZ)||Trent Busuttin||–|
|21||SILENT ACHIEVER (NZ)||Roger James||–|
|22||STRIKE THE STARS (NZ)||Anthony Cummings||95|
|23||THAT’S THE ONE||Colin & Cindy Alderson||–|