Caulfield Cup winner Southern Speed has a chance to avenge her Australian Cup defeat tomorrow when she takes on Manighar in the 2012 Ranvet Stakes at Rosehill Gardens.
The four-year-old lost by a nose to the French gelding in the Australian Cup two weeks ago and gets her chance to take revenge over the same 2000 metre distance when she lines up on the inside of Manighar in barrier three.
Southern Speed has been in decent form so far this year but will have to beat a high class field to win the Group 1 event including Chipping Norton Stakes winner Shoot Out.
The Southern Image mare won her first-up race in January’s John Dillon Stakes before running second to champion sprinter Black Caviar in the CF Orr Stakes at Caulfield.
She then produced her worst run this year (fifth) in the Peter Young Stakes before coming agonisingly close to a second-ever Group 1 victory in the Australian Cup.
She will be ridden by regular jockey Craig Williams on Saturday when she attempts to score top billings in the $400,000 feature race.
Horse Facts – Southern Speed
- Jockey: Craig Williams
- Trainer: Leon Macdonald and Andrew Gluyas
- Owners: B H Perks, Miss A M Clough, T J Robertson, Mrs E A Robertson, R B Fairclough and Mrs B D Fairclough
- Gender: Mare
- Breeding: Southern Image out of Golden Eagle
- Career: 17 5-4-1
- Prize Money: $2,368,850
- Current Ranvet Stakes Odds: $5.00 at bookmaker.com.au
Why Southern Speed Can Win the 2012 Ranvet Stakes
- She has been in good form in 2012
- She is proven in big races, having won the 2011 Caulfield Cup
- She is fresh off a second-place effort in the Australian Cup
Why Southern Speed Can’t Win the 2012 Ranvet Stakes
- She has never run at Rosehill before
- She has never won at the 2000 metre Ranvet distance
Do you think Southern Speed can win in her first start in Sydney? Or do you fancy Manighar or Shoot Out? Maybe an outside hope? Whoever you are backing, be sure to bet at bookmaker.com.au to get the best value odds.
The Australian owned bookie is home to the Quickbet – the fastest way to bet – and offers a sensational $300 bonus bet to new customers!
To be rewarded with your bonus bet offer, simply enter the code BONUSBET when you sign up at bookmaker.com.au today.