They weren’t able to get the better of Hay List last time out and odds are they won’t do it tonight either, but the Rob Heathcote-trained Buffering has been smashed by the punters in the William Reid Stakes 2012 markets leading Races.com.au to further investigate their claims.
John McNair’s champion sprinter Hay List chased down and defeated Brisbane raider Buffering in the Newmarket Handicap at Flemington last start with a big weight.
While Mossman four-year-old Buffering looked the winner a way out from home, they couldn’t hold off the hulking Hay List.
Meeting at weight-for-age tonight in the $400,000 Group 1 William Reid Stakes (1200m) under the lights at Moonee Valley would then seem like an impossible task, but jockey Michael Rodd is confident of exposing and taking advantage of a chink in Hay List’s armour tonight.
“My bloke is honest,” Rodd said.
“You look at his record and it’s fantastic, obviously not as good as Hay List’s, but he always turns up on race day and runs his best.
“He’s one from one around the Valley.
“It wouldn’t surprise me if he came out and beat him (Hay List).
“But he’s got a little bit against him.
“Coming back to the level weights is going to make it a bit harder.”
It seems there are plenty of punters out there that agree that Buffering can improve as he has been backed in from $12 to $9 in the William Reid Stakes odds at bookmaker.com.au, Hay List odds-on at $1.45.
So can Buffering bounce back and score a big upset William Reid Stakes result over the country’s second best sprinter, or will Hay List reign supreme again?
See below for the Races.com.au team’s exclusive look into Buffering’s chances in tonight’s special.
#2 Buffering – Horse Facts
- Trainer: Robert Heathcote
- Jockey: Michael Rodd
- Barrier: 3
- Weight: 58.5kg
- Owners: Mrs V Heathcote, S Krslovic, C Moore, R Ciobo, S Chipperfield, C Lord, Crafty Racing Synd, Aspariamo Racing Synd & B Harry
- Age: 4YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Mossman out of Anabaa mare Action Annie
- Career: 22-8-5-3
- Prize Money: $1,351,400
- Current 2012 William Reid Stakes Odds: $9 bookmaker.com.au
Yes – Buffering Can Beat Hay List in the 2012 William Reid Stakes
- Has lots of Group 1 experience running top four in seven of their eight elite level attempts
- Drawn to perfection one inside the favourite with barrier three
- Has a good record of won win (Group 3 McEwen Stakes over 1000m last September) from two starts at the Valley
- Has been under the lights at the track and distance when fourth to Sepoy in last year’s Manikato Stakes
No – Buffering Will Get Beaten in the 2012 William Reid Stakes
- Didn’t beat Hay List when meeting them better in the weights in the Newmarket so doing so at weight-for-age looks unlikely
- Hay List is odds-on favourite for a reason
- Four-year-old boys don’t have a great record in the race, Hareeba (1995) the last to win but Hay List faces the same hoodoo
- From eight Group 1 starts is yet to win a thoroughbred major
- Far, far better for the Place Bet through bookmaker.com.au
Whether you are tipping the weekend’s biggest race upset with Buffering to beat home Hay List tonight, or sticking with the proven favourite, our preferred online bookie bookmaker.com.au have the best horse racing odds.