Doomben 10,000 winner English could be racing...
It may over seven months away until the world’s richest handicap race lights up Flemington Racecourse on the first Tuesday of November but already bookies around Australia are offering exclusive ante-post 2012 Melbourne Cup odds.
Offer prize money up over $6 million plus trophies the Group 1 Emirates Melbourne Cup (3200m) is the feature race of the Melbourne Autumn Racing Carnival and there are currently two horses sharing early favouritism to win the ‘race that stops a nation’.
This week our preferred online bookie bookmaker.com.au released their futures Melbourne Cup 2012 betting markets offering punters plenty of early value.
When the capacity 24-horse Melbourne Cup field jumps away from the barriers as Flemington Race 7 on Tuesday November 6, the favourite is unlikely to be found at a price better than $5.
For punters keen to place their Melbourne Cup bets now, however, they can get juicy odds of $21 on the two current top elects.
Former Melbourne Cup winner Americain and last year’s eye-catching Melbourne Cup third placegetter Lucas Cranach are both installed at the top of the markets paying $21.
American-bred galloper Americain won the 2010 Melbourne Cup in his first trip down under when prepared in France by Alain de Royer Dupre.
The now seven-year-old was transferred to the care of Flemington horseman David Hayes at the end of last spring at the request of his Aussie owners, however, and will see out the end of his career in Australia.
Americain resumed on March 10 at Flemington to finish a credible third beaten under half a length by fellow European Manighar in the Group 1 Australian Cup (2000m) and is said to be heading towards the $2.25 million Group 1 The BMW (2400m) at Rosehill Gardens on April 7.
In the latest 2012 The BMW odds at bookmaker.com.au Americain is the clear $2.60 favourite followed by their last-start conqueror Manighar ($5).
Imported German stayer Lucas Cranach, meanwhile, also won their first-up run for 2012 beaten the likes of Illo and Manighar in the Group 2 Peter Young Stakes (1800m).
Trainer Anthony Freedman then sent them back to the paddock, the five-year-old to be saved for the spring riches including the 2012 Caulfield Cup in October, which they ran fifth in in their Aussie debut last year, and the iconic Melbourne Cup.
Other horses in the top end of the futures all-in Melbourne Cup odds at bookmaker.com.au include:
- Red Cadeaux ($23) – Went down in the closes Melbourne Cup result in history when second to Dunaden in last year’s edition, went on to run third to Dunaden again in the Hong Kong Vase (2400m)
- Sanagas ($23) – German-bred six-year-old, won the Hollywood Turf during the summer before a dead last finish as the short-priced favourite in the San Marcos, set to return to Australia and target the Melbourne Cup
- Atlantic Jewel ($26) – Boom Mark Kavanagh-trained filly won the Thousand Guineas at just her fourth career start then maintained her unbeaten status with a seven length romp in the Wakeful Stakes on Derby Day, hasn’t raced since after injuring herself but is set to return in around three weeks’ time
- Green Moon ($26) – Lloyd Williams-owned import ran second in last year’s Caulfield Cup before failing in The Lexus Stakes missing out on a Melbourne Cup run, resumed to win the Blame Stakes over the Flemington mile and is tipped for better spring this time round
- Manighar ($26) – New stable acquisition for Peter Moody, previously prepared by Luca Cumani, has been in excellent form this prep win a Carlyon Cup win, Peter Young Stakes third and then their narrow victory in the Australian Cup over Caulfield Cup winner Southern Speed
To check out the full range of Flemington Melbourne Cup Odds 2012 head to bookmaker.com.au who will refund bets made if your horse isn’t nominated for the Melbourne Cup – conditions apply!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.