The Doomben Cup 2018 takes centre stage in...
Twelve months ago flawless sprinter Black Caviar secured the Newmarket Handicap – William Reid Stakes double and on Friday night we again have an odds-on favourite in Hay List to repeat the feat, but are they really the horse to beat in the 2012 William Reid Stakes?
Fresh off a record-breaking win in the Newmarket Handicap at Flemington the John McNair-trained Hay List is now the $1.35 favourite through bookmaker.com.au to add the $400,000 Group 1 William Reid Stakes (1200m) title to his impressive record.
There has been some talk about the slight bruising Hay List was disclosed to have, however the latest on that is it was an abscess that has now burst and RVL stewards have cleared him for Friday night.
While deserving off their short-priced status in the William Reid Stakes odds there is always a pro and con to backing a horse and below the Races.com.au team have a closer look at whether Hay List will indeed emerge the winner.
#1 Hay List – Horse Facts
- Trainer: John McNair
- Jockey: Glyn Schofield
- Barrier: 4
- Weight: 58.5kg
- Owners: T J Davenport, Mrs E A Davenport, Miss J Davenport, Miss K M Davenport & P A Davenport
- Age: 6YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Statue Of Liberty (USA) out of Sing Hallelujah (AUS)
- Career: 22-15-2-0
- Prize Money: $2,476,325
- Current 2012 William Reid Stakes Odds: $1.35 @ bookmaker.com.au
Why Hay List Can Win the 2012 William Reid Stakes
- Their Newmarket Handicap victory was one of the best wins of the past 10 years by any horse in any race, he gave away bucket loads of weight but ran them down and did it from a bad gate too, Friday will be easier
- Faced 21 rivals last start and has just seven to get the better of in the William Reid
- Will relish coming back to weight-for-age meeting many of the horses he beat home in the Newmarket on equal terms this time round
- Black Caviar did the Newmarket – William Reid double last year and without her in the picture Hay List has the talent to do the same
- Drawn nicely in barrier four
- Has beaten most of this field before
- Is already three-time Group 1 winner, and not from years back!
- Also has a Group 1 win at the track and distance from the Manikato Stakes in 2010
- The Manikato was under the lights so night racing won’t faze
- Unbeaten at Moonee Valley with two wins from as many attempts at the tight circuit
- Boasts the highest Win Rate of the field with 68.18%
- Is a seven-time winner over the distance from 10 attempts
Why Hay List Can’t Win the 2012 William Reid Stakes
- Did the Newmarket take too much out of him?
- Trainers and stewards say the abscess on the foot was nothing but any injury however minor is always an issue
- Only one four-year-old horse in history has ever completed the Newmarket Hcp – William Reid double
- The last four-year-old male to win the William Reid was Hareeba (1995)
Whether you are getting on the Hay List bandwagon or tipping an upset William Reid Stakes result, bookmaker.com.au have your William Reid Stakes betting covered.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.