Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
One of the three Group races set to take place under the lights at Moonee Valley this Friday evening will be the Fillies Classic 2012, a race that will be used as a lead-up for a number of fillies heading towards next month’s Australian Oaks.
A total of 16 three-year-old fillies were entered for the $200,000 Group 2 Fillies Classic (1600m) on William Reid Stakes Night, five of which are also nominated for the $550,000 Group 1 ATC Australian Oaks (2400m) at Sydney’s Royal Randwick on April 21.
The five Australian Oaks-bound three-year-olds nominated for the Fillies Classic this year are:
- Empress Rock (Bart Cummings) – Fastnet Rock filly last seen winning the Group 2 Kewney Stakes (1400m) at Flemington on March 10, good improvement to come and should like getting to the mile on Friday night
- Heart Of Eternity (Jason Williams) – Lightly-raced daughter of Court Of Jewels, hasn’t been to stakes company yet but looked good over the mile at Moonee Valley last time out when third
- Rahveel (Leon Corstens) – Zabeel filly has won just one of her eight starts to date, was outclassed in the Crown Oaks last spring but was second, albeit beaten seven lengths, behind Atlantic Jewel over the 2000m of the Wakeful Stakes on Derby Day
- Torah (Peter Moody) – Spinning World filly winner over the Moonee Valley mile last October, disappointing when 14th in the Kewney Stakes last time out
- Total Attraction (Peter Moody) – Moody’s best chance of going back-to-back in the Fillies Classic, Nadeem filly won her opening three starts in the summer before her fourth in the Kewney, will be better getting back to the mile on Friday night
Punters looking for an early guide for the 2012 Australian Oaks will be keeping a keen eye on the Fillies Classic, the race producing last year’s Oaks winner in Fillies Classic third placed Absolutely.
Not only will the 2012 Fillies Classic be a good Australian Oaks betting guide for bookmaker.com.au punters, it could also reveal the best bets to make on a number of other autumn futures.
Last year Peter Moody’s one-time Caulfield Cup favourite Lights Of Heaven won the Fillies Classic – Schweppes Oaks double, while Fillies Classic third placegetter and subsequent Australian Oaks winner Absolutely also ran second in the Schweppes Oaks.
This year the $350,000 Group 1 Schweppes Oaks (2000m) will run at Morphettville on April 28.
Other notable 2012 Sportingbet Fillies Classic nominations include the Anthony Freedman-trained duo of Crucial and Outdoor, and the John Thompson-trained daughter of Encosta De Lago Kneeling.
Bookmark us here at Races.com.au to view the 2012 Fillies Classic final field and barriers when acceptances are taken and released on Wednesday.
In the meantime, get ready for the weekend’s racing action by opening your online betting account with bookmaker.com.au.
Remember, if you are a first-time customer to quote the exclusive codeword BONUSBET to unlock your $300 bonus welcome bet!
2012 Fillies Classic Nominations & Ballot
Moonee Valley – 23/03/2012
|2||ASSERTIVE EAGLE||Tony McEvoy||5||57kg||82|
|5||EMPRESS ROCK||Bart Cummings||1||57kg||91|
|6||HEART OF ETERNITY||Jason Williams||14||57kg||62|
|7||KNEELING||John P Thompson||3||57kg||80|
|8||OUR MISS JONES (NZ)||Michael Kent||10||57kg||68|
|10||PRINCESS ROCK||Darren Weir||11||57kg||66|
|13||TORAH||Peter G Moody||2||57kg||76|
|14||TOTAL ATTRACTION||Peter G Moody||6||57kg||76|
|15||TWILIGHTING||Mathew Ellerton & Simon Zahra||7||57kg||72|
|16||TWO SUGARS||Matt Laurie||8||57kg||72|
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.