Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
They are the raging favourite following the withdrawal of top elect Lucas Cranach, but can former Melbourne Cup hero Americain salute in the other famous cup race at Flemington and take out the 2012 Australian Cup this Super Saturday of Racing?
Previously prepared in France by the maestro Alain de Royer Dupre, Dynaformer seven-year-old Americain goes into the $1 million Group 1 Dubai Australian Cup (2000m) on Saturday first-up after a four month break.
New trainer David Hayes is confident that having kept the hulking stayer in light to moderate work over that period will be key to having them race fit for the Australian Cup 2012, but can they win this big Group 1 classic upon resuming?
The Australian Cup odds at bookmaker.com.au say they can with Americain the dominant $2.20 punters’ pick.
They may face just seven rivals but among them are a quartet of Group 1 winners including Flemington specialist Glass Harmonium ($7 bookmaker.com.au) and reigning Caulfield Cup conqueror Southern Speed ($6.50 bookmaker.com.au).
Throw in last year’s Melbourne Cup fifth placed Manighar ($6 bookmaker.com.au), now prepared by premier Victorian horseman Peter Moody, and two horse prepared by the most successful Australian Cup trainer of all time Bart Cummings with $5.50 second elect Illo and $31 roughie Precedence, and you have one fine race on the cards.
See below for the Races.com.au team’s exclusive look at the pros and cons on Americain winning the Australian Cup 2012.
#1 Americain – Horse Facts
- Trainer: David Hayes
- Jockey: Steven Arnold
- Barrier: 8
- Weight: 59kg
- Owners: GT & Mrs VJ Ryan, KL & Mrs CO Bamford
- Age: 7YO
- Gender: Stallion
- Breeding: by Dynaformer (USA) out of Arazi (USA) mare America (IRE)
- Career: 28-11-3-3
- Prize Money: $5,318,677
- Current 2012 Australian Cup Odds: $2.20 @ bookmaker.com.au
Yes – Americain Will be the 2012 Australian Cup Winner
- They are the short-priced $2.20 favourite in this field for a reason and are the Australian Cup betting market mover
- Their main danger Lucas Cranach has been scratched from the race
- Drawn in the far outside won’t matter in a small field over the distance
- Is prepared by David Hayes who has trained two previous Australian Cup winners with Niconero (2009) and Better Loosen Up (1991)
- Has the best Win Rate of the field with 39.29%
- Has two runs at Flemington to their name for one win in the 2010 Melbourne Cup
- Last year’s Australian Cup winner Shocking also won the Melbourne Cup (2009) two years before their Aussie Cup success
No – Americian Will get defeated in the 2012 Australian Cup Results
- Could need one run to be at their peak and winning the Australian Cup first-up is a rare feat
- Has a strong place rate of 60.71% and may be better suited to an Each Way bet at bookmaker.com.au
- May be looking for further as they have never won over the 2000-metres
- Steven Arnold rides them for the first time and the pair have no experience together under race condtions
Whether you are backing the favourite or tipping an upset, Australia’s leading online bookie bookmaker.com.au have you covered this Super Saturday.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.