Exciting gelding Bel Sprinter will be chasing a first Group 1 victory when he runs in the 2012 Newmarket Handicap as part of a Super Saturday of racing at Flemington.
The Jason Warren trained four-year-old is coming off a sixth-place effort in the Apollo Stakes on February 25 but has an impressive record of five wins from seven starts.
He successfully passed a vet check by racing Victoria officials earlier this week after lashing out in the paddock and suffering a superficial wound to his off side cannon bone.
The son of Bel Espirit easily got through a trial run on Monday, when bandaged the same way he will be when he runs from barrier 13 on Saturday.
Bel Sprinter ($6.00) currently sits as bookmaker.com.au equal second favourite (with Rain Affair) for the Newmarket Handicap at the Races.com.au preferred bookmaker.
Horse Facts – Bel Sprinter
- Jockey: Ben Melham
- Trainer: Jason Warren
- Owners: G Bailey, M Brown, R Clancy, W Ford, S Nankervis, W Patrick, N Theos & Y Warren
- Age: 4YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Bel Espirit out of Gavroche
- Career: 7 5-1-0
- Prize Money: $260,275
- Current Newmarket Handicap Odds: $6.00 at bookmaker.com.au
Why Bel Sprinter can win the 2012 Newmarket Handicap
- Bel Sprinter has won five times from seven starts
- He has won at Flemington before
- He is carrying only 52.5kg, six kilograms less than favourite Hay List
Why Bel Sprinter can’t win the 2012 Newmarket Handicap
- Bel Sprinter has never won a Group 1 race
- He is coming off a sixth-place finish in the Oakleigh Plate
- He had to pass a vet check on Monday and will need a final clearance on race morning
With the 2012 Newmarket Handicap taking place tomorrow, give yourself the best value when picking your winners.
The place to find the best odds is at the Australian owned and operated bookmaker.com.au.
Bookmaker.com.au will even reward you with a $300 bonus bet if you quote the code BONUSBET when you open an account today!