One of the opening Group races running at Flemington Racecourse for Super Saturday this weekend will be the Blamey Stakes 2012, and despite some of the big wigs in the feature the betting market mover is the in-form Speediness.
Colin Scott’s Testa Rossa four-year-old, out for their third straight win in Melbourne for the season and their second straight at the famous Flemington course, sits top of the horse racing betting markets for the $200,000 Blamey Stakes (1600m).
The lightly-raced Speedniess pays $4.60 in the Blamey Stakes odds at bookmaker.com.au, but they face a big class rise on Saturday having never raced at Group level.
They also go to the mile for just the second time, but they handled it well last May when second to later Stradbroke Handicap winner Sincero in the Inglis 3YO Guineas at Scone.
So can Speedniess salute for the punters on Saturday or is there a better value bet to make in the Blamey Stakes markets?
Below the Races.com.au team take a closer look at some of the other major players in the Blamey Stakes field and then provide our tips for Flemington Race 4.
Following Speedniess in the Blamey Stakes odds are:
- #15 Pied A Terre ($4.80 bookmaker.com.au) – Peter Snowden’s smart three-year-old goes up against an open-age field but has an impressive Win Rate of 80% and have only been defeated once, come off a win in the Group 2 Autumn Stakes (1400m) at Caulfield and go to the mile for the first time on Saturday – Genuine Each Way Chance
- #1 Wall Street ($7.50 bookmaker.com.au – Consistent strike rate of 37.93%, Moroney’s imported Kiwi is out to break a winning drought that has lasted since their 2010 Emirates Stakes victory, no stranger to Group 1, the mile or Flemington – Best Place Bet
- #5 Centennial Park ($7.50 bookmaker.com.au) – Decent six-year-old that has been thereabouts in Sydney this season, won the Group 2 Expressway Stakes around this time last year but hasn’t been in the winners stall since – Not Our Favourite At The Mile
- #6 Ranger ($9 bookmaker.com.au) – Interesting addition to the field, Grant Williams’ Perth visitor racing for the third time in Melbourne, weren’t disgraced in the Peter Young Stakes when sixth to Lucas Cranach, will like getting back to a mile and have Group form back home – If They’ve Found their Melbourne Leg Could Upset
Others to watch at double-figures that could add value to exotics include last year’s Caulfield Cup runner-up Green Moon ($13) who races first-up on Saturday, The Lexus Stakes winner from the spring Niwot ($15) who will be likely looking for more distance and the Clinton Mcdonald-trained Al Maher four-year-old Bigelow ($18).
So which horse is the Races.com.au team tipping?
Speediness really does look tough to beat but there is just something about Ranger here that we like.
- #6 Ranger from #13 Speediness and #15 Pied A Terre – Bet now at bookmaker.com.au
Don’t wait until race day to place your bets, get the best odds on all your selections right now at the bookie working harder for its customers –bookmaker.com.au.
Find out more at bookmaker.com.au now.
2012 Blamey Stakes Odds
Flemington Race 4 – 1:55pm – 10/03/2012
|1||WALL STREET (7)||7.50 bookmaker.com.au|
|2||NIWOT (1)||15.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|3||SCENIC SHOT (6)||51.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|4||GOD HAS SPOKEN (9)||51.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|5||CENTENNIAL PARK (5)||7.50 bookmaker.com.au|
|6||RANGER (16)||9.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|7||EXTRA ZERO (13)||31.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|8||GREEN MOON (2)||13.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|9||ROTHERA (3)||26.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|10||OVER QUOTA (15)||21.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|11||BIGELOW (8)||18.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|12||CHASM (10)||26.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|13||SPEEDINESS (4)||4.60 bookmaker.com.au|
|14||SNOW COVER (12)||21.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|15||PIED A TERRE (11)||4.80 bookmaker.com.au|
|16||SPECTER (14)||19.00 bookmaker.com.au|
*Fixed Win Odds provided by bookmaker.com.au and subject to change