Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The updated Adelaide Cup 2012 odds have now been released at bookmakers around the country following the release of the full 20-horse field on Wednesday, Michael Moroney’s classy import Drunken Sailor retaining their favouritism despite drawing the far outside barrier.
Winner of the Listed Roy Higgins Quality (2600m) at Flemington last Saturday, Tendulkar seven-year-old Drunken Sailor came up with barrier 20 of 20 for Monday’s highly-anticipated $400,000 Group 2 Adelaide Cup (3200m) at Morphettville.
With a full two-miles to overcome their draw, the Adelaide Cup one of the few remaining true 3200-metre cup showdowns in Australian, Drunken Sailor is the deserved favourite in the eyes of the Races.com.au team.
History also says their awkward gate is a non-issue as last year’s Adelaide Cup winner Muir, who came via the same winning lead-up run in the Roy Higgins as Drunken Sailor, was also drawn on the extreme outside (barrier 18 of 18).
Although this year’s Adelaide Cup enjoyed bumper acceptances, there are just two other hopefuls at single-figures in the latest Adelaide Cup betting markets at bookmaker.com.au with Hanks ($6) and Norsqui ($9).
Drawn just worse than midfield in barrier 12 with Black Caviar’s regular rider Luke Nolen engaged, Peter Moody’s in-form stayer Hanks is the definite for horse in the field having won back-to-back races at Moonee Valley last month.
Hanks is also proven up to 3000-metres with the first of his February wins at the Valley being over that distance, his most recent then in the Listed Sportingbet Night Cup (2500m).
Norsqui only fared slightly better than the favourite in the Adelaide Cup barrier draw coming up with gate 19, the Walter McShane-trained Matsqui five-year-old out for successive cup victories following their impressive two and a half length win over Drunken Sailor in the Listed Mornington Cup (2400m) last start on February 15.
Other notable chances in the Adelaide Cup field and markets this year that could prove a nice value bet through bookmaker.com.au include:
- #10 Persian Star ($10 bookmaker.com.au) – Rob Smerdon’s smart seven-year-old mare was far from disgraced when a close fourth to Drunken Sailor in the Roy Higgins, has also been to the two-miles when fifth in last year’s Queensland Cup and earlier than that ran third over 3000-metres in the Tony Beddison Cup at Moonee Valley in 2012 – distance is right but can she improve enough?
- #7 Rialya ($11 bookmaker.com.au) – Best of the local Adelaide hopes this year, enjoyed a stakes win last month at the track before finishing second behind Enchanting Waters in the Lord Reims Stakes last weekend when going to 2600-metres for the first time, they are only four but have the makings of a genuine stayer with genuine claims to place here
- #9 Enchanting Waters ($12 bookmaker.com.au) – Beat some of these by an easy margin in the Group 3 Lord Reims Stakes last-start, the seven-year-old mare has been in excellent form all summer but she has been up a while and this is a big tough test for an older galloper that is coming to the end of their prep
- #3 Crocodile Canyon ($12 bookmaker.com.au) – Kevin Myer’s Kiwi raider races in Australia for the first time since October 2010 when they were unplaced in the David Jones Cup at Caulfield, can handle most track conditions which is a plus but 2400-metres is the furthest they’ve seen
- #6 Western Jewel ($14 bookmaker.com.au) – A nice WA mare with plenty of talent and some nice wins to her name, most notably last year’s Perth Cup, but was just off them when sixth in the Roy Higgins and fifth in the Mornington Cup, hard to see her improving enough to threaten but with a good run could sneak into the top four or even three
Below punters will find the most recent fixed win Adelaide Cup prices available on the final field at the Australian-owned and trusted bookmaker.com.au.
2012 Adelaide Cup Odds
Morphettville – Monday March 12, 2012
|1||DRUNKEN SAILOR (20)||3.20 bookmaker.com.au|
|2||NORSQUI (19)||9.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|3||CROCODILE CANYON (11)||12.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|4||FIELDMASTER (2)||16.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|5||HANKS (12)||6.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|6||WESTERN JEWEL (4)||14.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|7||RIALYA (3)||11.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|8||SADDLERS STORY (9)||14.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|9||ENCHANTING WATERS (8)||12.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|10||PERSIAN STAR (14)||10.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|11||SEAN BAILE MOR (7)||35.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|12||TANAH LOT (5)||18.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|13||HE’S HOT TO TROT (17)||81.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|14||MR RIGGS (18)||31.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|15||BEAUTIFUL SOUL (15)||81.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|16||TAKE OUT (1)||26.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|17||XAAR BEST (16)||81.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|18||WARRINGAH (6)||81.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|19||ALL OUT WAR (10)||31.00 bookmaker.com.au|
|20||DUMOSA (13)||151.00 bookmaker.com.au|
*Fixed Win Odds provided by bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.