One of the headline events at Warwick Farm this Saturday is the Light Fingers Stakes 2012 and as the punters shy away from the luckless Karuta Queen, big money bets continue to roll in for the resuming Streama who is the firm market mover.
A capacity 16-starter field of fillies is set to face off in the $175,000 Group 2 Patinack Farm Light Fingers Stakes (1200m) running as Warwick Farm Race 7 at 5:10pm, the Guy Walter-trained Streama the firming favourite.
Originally drawn in barrier 11 but now into 10, impressive Stratum filly Streama hasn’t raced since she clinched the Princess Series Trifecta last October with an enthusiastic six and a half length victory in the final leg, the Group 1 Flight Stakes (1600m) against a quality field at Randwick.
A winner over the track and distance in the Group 2 Furious Stakes (1400m) last year, which was the first of the three Princess Series races she won, Streama has been in flying form in trackwork and Walter is confident that will transfer to the races on Saturday.
“She’s working really well,” he said.
“Given all this (wet) weather, we’ve been very fortunate not only to get a couple of trials…but we’ve been able to get on the course proper a few times.
“We’ve been pretty lucky getting her ready so I think she’s going to be pretty right for this race.
“They’ve all got to come back, including Streama, but she’s given us every indication she has and she’s relatively lightly raced.”
Despite admitting that first-up over 1200-metres is when Streama is most vulnderable, Walter still believes she will have her name in the papers for all the right reasons on Sunday morning.
“I think that’s probably fairly right but she’s shown before what an adaptable filly she is,” Walter said.
“She can sit up on the speed if it’s slowly run.
“She can sit off the sped and unleash a great sprint when they go fast.
“That’s a great attribute.”
It seems the punters are also confident Streama is ready to get back to it as she has been heavily backed in from $3.60 to $3.20 in the Light Fingers Stakes odds at Luxbet.
Second favourite Karuta Queen on the other hand is losing flavour and has eased out from $3.60 to $4.20 through Luxbet as punters find it hard to forgive her first-up fourth as the beaten favourite in the Rubiton at Caulfield despite her jump being compromised.
Canberra trainer Neville Layt, however, believes Karuta Queen will be able to atone on Saturday and has come through her run last weekend better than expected.
“She pulled up good, she is as bright as a new pin,” he said.
“Fitness wise the run has done her the world of good.
“I’ve never raced her on the quick back-up before but she has pulled up as good as gold.
“She has licked the bin every day and is bouncing around like her usual self.
“With the run under her belt I think my filly will be hard to beat.”
Along with Streama the other 2012 Light Fingers Stakes betting market movers are:
- #4 Hallowell Belle – $10 into $9.50 Luxbet – Back in the care of Gai Waterhouse this smart, Group 1 performing Starcraft filly was last seen finishing fourth behind the boom Atlantic Jewel in the Thousand Guineas, should be good first-up over the distance but was six and a half lengths second to Streama in the Flight Stakes and can’t see that difference changing
- #8 Emmalene – $17 into $10 Luxbet – Strong, steady flow of money for Liam Birchely’s Brisbane visitor, she resumed with a close fifth at Doomben a fortnight ago and will have improved, is a black-type winner at Flemington and is the untapped one in this race
Meanwhile, punters have been shying away from the David Payne-trained Al’s Magic Miss who has been the biggest drifter out from $16 to $26 through Luxbet despite her good record at the track and her last-start win at Canterbury.
Get behind your pick for the Light Fingers Stakes winner now at the best price through Luxbet, or bookmark us here at Races.com.au to view our full Warwick Farm race tips for Saturday to be published later today.
Either way, now is the time to open you new account with Australia’s leading online bookmaker Luxbet as they have a juicy $400 bonus welcome bet for every first-time customer that deposits and enters the code BONUSBET!
2012 Light Fingers Stakes Betting Market Moves
Warwick Farm Race 7 – 5:10pm – 18/02/2012
- #1 Karuta Queen – $3.60 out to $4.20 Luxbet
- #2 Pane In The Glass – Steady at $12 Luxbet
- #3 Streama – $3.60 into $3.20 Luxbet
- #4 Hallowell Belle – $10 into $9.50 Luxbet
- #5 Schiffer – Steady at $21 Luxbet
- #6 Altar – $12 out to $13 Luxbet
- #7 Al’s Magic Miss – $16 out to $26 Luxbet
- #8 Emmalene – $17 into $10 Luxbet
- #9 Noctorunelle – $14 out to $19 Luxbet
- #10 Debelle – Steady at $41 Luxbet
- #11 Kneeling – $14 out to $15 Luxbet
- #12 Colorado Claire – SCRATCHED
- #13 Miss Spoken – $81 into $71 Luxbet
- #14 Sea Siren – Steady at $12 Luxbet
- #15 Fox – Steady at $41 Luxbet
- #16 Blue Ruby – $81 out to $101 Luxbet
- #17 Pineapple – $35 out to $51 Luxbet
- #18 Rose Pattern – SCRATCHED
*All Odd are Fixed Win and subject to change – check Luxbet for updates and to bet now!