Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The Tasmanian Summer Racing Carnival gets started at Hobart Racecourse this Sunday with a bumper day’s racing headlined by three black type features including the Tasmanian Derby 2012.
One of Tassie’s premier races for three-year-olds, the $100,000 Listed Schweppes Tasmanian Derby (2200m) has this year drawn a final field of 10 gallopers.
Incredibly half of the horses in the 2012 Tasmanian Derby field come off a last-start win with:
- #2 Barysh Quest (Gary White) – Due to be ridden by ace hoop Craig Newitt from barrier two, this West Quest gelding was last seen winning the Listed Hobart Guineas by an easy two and a half lengths on January 22, before that they went down just a long-neck when second to Moving Money in the Listed Tasmanain Guineas (1600m) at Launceston, likely to open the favourite at Luxbet and hard to go past looking at their progression
- #3 Rollerball (Robert Smerdon) – Smart Victorian raider has Mark Zahra engaged for the ride and the inside alley, this son of O’Reilly is out for their third win on the trot following back-to-back wins at Ballarat and Moonee Valley respectively over the mile last month
- #7 Methuselah (John McArdle) – Out wider in barrier nine but plenty of ground to overcome, this Mornington galloper took out a 2000m race at Ararat by a breezy five lengths after overcoming barrier 13 and 58kg last start
- #8 Talaq Downs (Carlie Googin & Luella Meaburn) – Local hope bounced back from some disappointing form over the past month to win a 1650m race at Devonport on January 29, distance might be too much for them
- #10 Magnum (John P Thompson) – This Starcraft gelding from Sydney broke their maiden status last time out at Wangaratta over 2000m, see a notable class rise here but distance should suit
It is a genuine field full of top chances on Sunday with other notable Tasmanian Derby hopes including the Anthony Freedman-trained Caravaggio who won three on the trot before their last-start second in the Hobart Guineas, Patrick Payne’s Delgao Brom gelding Jarss Act coming off a fifth in the Hobart Guineas, and the Danny O’Brien-trained Savabeel colt Charting who is yet to win from seven starts in and around Melbourne.
The other major event on the Hobart race card this Sunday will be the $150,000 Group 3 Bow Mistress Trophy (1200m), the fillies and mares feature bringing the meeting to a close as Race 10.
All the Hobart racing odds for this weekend will be up at Luxbet shortly, so make sure you have an account open with this Tabcorp-owned and trusted online bookie.
2012 Tasmanian Derby Final Field & Barrier Draw
Hobart Race 8 – 05/02/2012
|#||Form (Last 10)||Horse||Trainer||Jockey||Barrier||Wgt.||Hcp. Rating|
|1||5545X91112||CARAVAGGIO||Anthony Freedman||Daniel Moor||5||57kg||78|
|2||5X541X421||BARYSH QUEST||Gary White||Craig Newitt||2||57kg||80|
|3||411||ROLLERBALL (NZ)||Robert Smerdon||Mark Zahra||1||57kg||70|
|4||X8413X4174||COLONIAL GOLD||Gary White||Dean Holland||7||57kg||66|
|5||251X6145||JARSS ACT||Patrick Payne||Ms Michelle Payne||4||57kg||66|
|6||5X524422||CHARTING (NZ)||Danny O’Brien||Jamie Mott||3||57kg||60|
|7||949X1551||METHUSELAH||John McArdle||Jarrod Todd||9||57kg||66|
|8||479X83691||TALAQ DOWNS||Charlie Goggin & Luella Meaburn||Ms Talia Rodder (a)||8||57kg||61|
|9||0X79X24523||CRYSTAL ICON||Mathew Ellerton & Simon Zahra||Michael Walker||10||57kg||58|
|10||9881||MAGNUM||John P Thompson||Chris Symons||6||57kg||62|
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.