The Tasmanian Summer Racing Carnival gets started at Hobart Racecourse this Sunday with a bumper day’s racing headlined by three black type features including the Tasmanian Derby 2012.
One of Tassie’s premier races for three-year-olds, the $100,000 Listed Schweppes Tasmanian Derby (2200m) has this year drawn a final field of 10 gallopers.
Incredibly half of the horses in the 2012 Tasmanian Derby field come off a last-start win with:
- #2 Barysh Quest (Gary White) – Due to be ridden by ace hoop Craig Newitt from barrier two, this West Quest gelding was last seen winning the Listed Hobart Guineas by an easy two and a half lengths on January 22, before that they went down just a long-neck when second to Moving Money in the Listed Tasmanain Guineas (1600m) at Launceston, likely to open the favourite at Luxbet and hard to go past looking at their progression
- #3 Rollerball (Robert Smerdon) – Smart Victorian raider has Mark Zahra engaged for the ride and the inside alley, this son of O’Reilly is out for their third win on the trot following back-to-back wins at Ballarat and Moonee Valley respectively over the mile last month
- #7 Methuselah (John McArdle) – Out wider in barrier nine but plenty of ground to overcome, this Mornington galloper took out a 2000m race at Ararat by a breezy five lengths after overcoming barrier 13 and 58kg last start
- #8 Talaq Downs (Carlie Googin & Luella Meaburn) – Local hope bounced back from some disappointing form over the past month to win a 1650m race at Devonport on January 29, distance might be too much for them
- #10 Magnum (John P Thompson) – This Starcraft gelding from Sydney broke their maiden status last time out at Wangaratta over 2000m, see a notable class rise here but distance should suit
It is a genuine field full of top chances on Sunday with other notable Tasmanian Derby hopes including the Anthony Freedman-trained Caravaggio who won three on the trot before their last-start second in the Hobart Guineas, Patrick Payne’s Delgao Brom gelding Jarss Act coming off a fifth in the Hobart Guineas, and the Danny O’Brien-trained Savabeel colt Charting who is yet to win from seven starts in and around Melbourne.
The other major event on the Hobart race card this Sunday will be the $150,000 Group 3 Bow Mistress Trophy (1200m), the fillies and mares feature bringing the meeting to a close as Race 10.
All the Hobart racing odds for this weekend will be up at Luxbet shortly, so make sure you have an account open with this Tabcorp-owned and trusted online bookie.
2012 Tasmanian Derby Final Field & Barrier Draw
Hobart Race 8 – 05/02/2012
|#||Form (Last 10)||Horse||Trainer||Jockey||Barrier||Wgt.||Hcp. Rating|
|1||5545X91112||CARAVAGGIO||Anthony Freedman||Daniel Moor||5||57kg||78|
|2||5X541X421||BARYSH QUEST||Gary White||Craig Newitt||2||57kg||80|
|3||411||ROLLERBALL (NZ)||Robert Smerdon||Mark Zahra||1||57kg||70|
|4||X8413X4174||COLONIAL GOLD||Gary White||Dean Holland||7||57kg||66|
|5||251X6145||JARSS ACT||Patrick Payne||Ms Michelle Payne||4||57kg||66|
|6||5X524422||CHARTING (NZ)||Danny O’Brien||Jamie Mott||3||57kg||60|
|7||949X1551||METHUSELAH||John McArdle||Jarrod Todd||9||57kg||66|
|8||479X83691||TALAQ DOWNS||Charlie Goggin & Luella Meaburn||Ms Talia Rodder (a)||8||57kg||61|
|9||0X79X24523||CRYSTAL ICON||Mathew Ellerton & Simon Zahra||Michael Walker||10||57kg||58|
|10||9881||MAGNUM||John P Thompson||Chris Symons||6||57kg||62|