The Chris Waller trained two year ods The...
Betting markets have been released for this weekend’s sole stakes showdown, the 2012 Kensington Stakes at Flemington, with the Anthony Freedman-trained First Command opening at the top of the odds for the sprint clash.
Due to jump as Flemington Race 6 at 4:10pm (VIC time), the $125,000 Listed Kensington Stakes (1000m) has this year drawn a final field of 11.
Bookies and punters are having trouble separating the chances of the field with six of the horses at single figures in the Kensington Stakes odds at Luxbet, another three paying between $13 and $11 to win.
The current $5 Luxbet favourite is six-year-old First Command who races second-up for the season having run a brave third, beaten just a quarter-length, in the Listed Doveton Stakes (1200m) at Caulfield on January 7.
Despite their horror barrier 11 of 11 draw, First Command is still well fancied to take out the Kensington Stakes title which would be their fourth black-type triumph.
First Command has won one of their second-up assignments, placing second in another two, but is yet to win from their four previous attempts at Flemington.
The other single-figure chances in the 2012 Kensington Stakes betting markets are:
- #8 Weekend Special ($6 Luxbet) – Mark Kavanagh-trained Snitzel four-year-old comes off two excellent runs at Moonee Valley over 955m last month, has an excellent record over the distance (5-3-2-0) but hasn’t seen the Flemington straight before
- #11 Decircles ($7 Luxbet) – Danny O’Brien-trained Encosta De Lago three-year-old gets the weight advantage (52.5kg), was last seen putting four and a half lengths on Godspeed when winning over 1209m at Seymour on August 7, long time between runs but has been to Flemington twice in their short four-start career including their second to Running Tall in the Group 2 VRC Sires’ Produce Stakes (1400m) back in March
- #3 Canali ($8 Luxbet) – Darwin galloper has good interstate experience, was impressive last-start over this track when fourth in the Group 3 Standish Handicap (1200m) before which they won the Victoria Cup (1100m) at Caulfield
- #5 General Truce ($8 Luxbet) – Comes off a narrow win over Weekend Special at Moonee Valley on New Year’s Eve, has been in top form this prep and was impressive at Flemington last winter when fourth in the Listed Creswick Stakes (1200m) and third in the King Island Dairy Handicap (1100M)
- #7 Obsidian Dragon ($8.50 Luxbet)- Morphettville visitor comes off a three length win at Moonee Valley over 1000m, out for their fourth straight victory, comes back from 59.5kg to 56kg and has the ideal barrier five draw, surprised at their easing price
One person very happy with Obsidian Dragon’s position in the Kensington is jockey Daniel Moor who has picked up the ride on the smart mare as Steven Arnold, aboard for her last-start win, rides First Command (58kg) being unable to get down to the right weight to retain the ride.
“I’ve watched her runs in Adelaide and here and she’s super slick and super impressive,” Moor said of Obsidian Dragon.
“With a bit of a weight drop I’m hoping she can again be effective in this race.”
The next best-fancied of the field are then Byron Cozamanis-trained eight-year-old The Soldier ($11), local Reset mare Star Of Giselle ($11) and Bel Esprit six-year-old Esprit De Bullet 9$13).
Rounding out the Kensington Stakes field and markets are then defending champ Grand Duels ($31) who has been very hit and miss over the past year and $35 roughie of the bunch Gran Sasso.
See below for the latest Kensington Stakes 2012 odds available online at our No. 1 recommended bookie Luxbet.
2012 Kensington Stakes Odds
Flemington Race 6 – 21/01/2012
|1||GRAND DUELS||31.00 Luxbet|
|2||FIRST COMMAND||5.00 Luxbet|
|4||GRAN SASSO||35.00 Luxbet|
|5||GENERAL TRUCE||8.00 Luxbet|
|6||THE SOLDIER||11.00 Luxbet|
|7||OBSIDIAN DRAGON||8.50 Luxbet|
|8||WEEKEND SPECIAL||6.00 Luxbet|
|9||ESPRIT DE BULLET||13.00 Luxbet|
|10||STAR OF GISELLE||11.00 Luxbet|
*Fixed Win Odds provided by Luxbet and subject to change
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.