Betting for the 2018 Group 1 $700,000 Altus...
Mark Kavanagh’s in-form Victorian galloper Catapulted is leading the way in the Magic Millions Cup 2012 betting markets ahead of Saturday’s Gold Coast clash, their trainer harbouring no concerns about how they will handle their hefty weight allocation.
One of 14 horses making up this year’s $328,000 R.M. Williams Magic Millions Cup (1400m) field, six-year-old Catapulted will carry 60kg with Michael Rodd in the mount, a full 3.5kg more than their next heaviest-weighted rival.
Big weights are nothing new to Catapulted, however, who comes off an easy three length victory in the Group 3 Standish Handicap (1200m) at Flemington on January 2 carrying 59kg from barrier two.
“It is fair to say he had been a little out of form but I think he looked like he wasn’t far off his best at Flemington,” Kavanagh said.
“He had them under pressure a long way out and ran sizzling time.
“He is a proven weight carrier and if it (the Magic Millions Cup) wasn’t a quality handicap he would have quite a bit more.”
The only doubt Kavanagh has is perhaps the distance, their last attempt over the 1400 metres being their 12th to Black Piranha back in the 2010 Stradbroke Handicap.
“The 1400 metres is a concern, but he has drawn (well in barrier two) and gets his chance to run it out,” he said.
“The 1400 metres is suspicious but in saying that he’s won at 1300 metres (the Group 2 QTC Cup at Eagle Farm in June 2010) and he’s more settled now than a year ago when he last attempted it.”
Catapulted has again drawn gate two for their assignment on Saturday, and despite the big weight they are the $3.60 (out from $3.10) favourite in the Magic Millions Cup odds at Luxbet.
In a relatively open market for the punters there are five other Magic Millions Cup hopefuls under $10 in the betting with:
- #7 My Destiny ($6 Luxbet) – Market firmer having come in from their opening price of $7 after drawing barrier one, lots of money on Con Karakatsanis’ in-form four-year-old who comes off four straight victories including the Listed Lough Neagh Stakes (12350m) on a Slow Doobmen track back on December 24
- #12 Ready To Rip ($6 Luxbet) – Was a close second to My Destiny last-start at Doomben, tipped to improve as they get up to the 1400 metres, mixed form around this distance but were competitive at the Coast in the GC Guineas back in May, track is the key for them
- #8 Spirit Of Boom ($7.50 Luxbet) – Tony Gollan’s Toowoomba galloper claimed a tidy win at the track on January 2 winning the Listed Goldmarket Handicap (1300m), fifth in the MM Guineas on this day 12 months ago and have matured since
- #5 Latin News ($8 Luxbet) – Lots to like about the now David Payne-trained Hussonet five-year-old, has run third in all three of their starts for Payne since being transferred from Bart Cummings, including their brilliant second when half a length away to Adebisi in the Group 3 George Moore Stakes (1200m) at Doomben on December 10, are fresh, can handle any track conditions although a bit of sting out of the ground would suit best
- #6 Startsmeup ($8.50 Luxbet) – Gillian Heinrich’s recent stable acquisition, has been a Gold Coast galloper their whole career and have plenty of form at the track including their second in the MM Guineas last year
Check out the full Magic Millions Cup odds and betting options now opened at our preferred online bookmaker Luxbet, and if you are a first-time depositing customer remember to quote the exclusive promo code BONUSBET to enjoy a bonus bet valued up to $400!
2012 Magic Millions Cup Odds
Gold Coast Race 7 – 14/01/2012
|1||CATAPULTED (2)||3.60 Luxbet|
|2||HERE DE ANGELS (4)||151.00 Luxbet|
|3||MR UNFORGETTABLE (12)||19.00 Luxbet|
|4||ADNOCON (13)||26.00 Luxbet|
|5||LATIN NEWS (3)||8.00 Luxbet|
|6||STARTSMEUP (11)||8.50 Luxbet|
|7||MY DESTINY (1)||6.00 Luxbet|
|8||SPIRIT OF BOOM (8)||7.50 Luxbet|
|9||TOP DROP (14)||26.00 Luxbet|
|10||GEARED UP (5)||31.00 Luxbet|
|11||EXCELLANTES (6)||18.00 Luxbet|
|12||READY TO RIP (10)||6.00 Luxbet|
|13||STEEL ZIP (9)||26.00 Luxbet|
|14||INTERVIEW (7)||101.00 Luxbet|
*Fixed Win Odds provided by Luxbet and subject to change
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.