The sole black-type feature running in Australia this weekend is the 2012 Doveton Stakes as racing kicks off at Caulfield for another year, and to help our readers pick a stakes winner on Saturday below the Races.com.au team have our insider form guide analysis and tips on the summer sprint showdown.
Set to run as Caulfield Race 5 at 3:30pm (VIC time) on Saturday, the $100,000 Listed Robert Taranto Doveton Stakes (1200m) features a small eight-horse field, meaning punters have eight horses to do the form on before placing their bets at Luxbet.
With a defending champ (First Command), a last-start city winner (Cat’s Pyjamas) and a Group 3 winner (Stirling Grove) among the main chances in the Doveton Stakes 2012 field and odds, it is certainly shaping up as a top event.
To save you time scrolling through the Caulfield race form, we have done the hard work for our readers.
2012 Doveton Stakes Form Guide Facts & Stats
- Last year’s Doveton Stakes winner First Command won the event first-up for the year from barrier 10 on 59kg with Dwayne Dunn aboard
- #1 First Command ($3.60 Luxbet) is back again on Saturday, racing first-up again and carrying the same weight (59kg) but this time to be ridden by Jamie Mott from barrier one; note their first-up record (6-3-1-0) is very impressive
- Winning jockey in the race 12 months ago Dunn this year partners with #8 From The Terrace ($31 Luxbet)
- There is only one runner coming off a win with #6 Cat’s Pyjamas ($7 Luxbet) who won at the track and distance on December 14
- Cat’s Pyjamas also boasts the highest Win Rate of the field with 45.45% followed by #1 First Command (40.91%) and #4 Second Effort (40.00%)
- The best Place Percentages belong to #6 Cat’s Pyjamas (72.73%), #5 Second Effort (66.67%), #1 First Command (63.64%) and the $3.30 Luxbet favourite #2 Stirling Grove (64.71%)
- Horses with the best Caulfield track record are #6 Cat’s Pyjamas (5-4-0-0), #1 First Command (8-5-1-0), #2 Stirling Grove (2-1-0-1), #3 Cascabel (8-2-3-1), and #7 Galbraith (4-1-1-1)
- Previous winners over the Track & Distance are #1 First Command (3-2-1-0), #2 Striling Grove (1-1-0-0) and #6 Cat’s Pyjamas (3-3-0-0)
- Caulfield is currently rated a Dead (4) and the only horse in the field that has not won on Dead ground previously is #5 Second Effort
Based on the above the Races.com.au find the Mark Kavanagh-trained Cat’s Pyjamas hard to go past in the markets, especially at her generous $7 price.
Doveton Stakes 2012 Tip
- #6 Cat’s Pyjamas from #1 First Command and #2 Stirling Grove – Bet now at Luxbet
To lock in our Doveton Stakes betting tip, or back your own selections, at the hottest odds in the country head to Luxbet and check out their ‘Best of the Best’ markets.
2012 Doveton Stakes Field & Form Guide
Caulfield Race 5 – 07/01/2012
|1.||FIRST COMMAND||Anthony Freedman||Jamie Mott||1||59||6yoG||97||$29,622||22: 9 4 1||40.91%||63.64%||0x527x|
|2.||STIRLING GROVE||R R Jolly||Dean Yendall||4||54||4yoG||63||$24,576||17: 6 3 2||35.29%||64.71%||0x5382|
|3.||CASCABEL||R D Griffiths||Craig Newitt||5||54||6yoG||5||$8,647||43: 6 10 4||13.95%||46.51%||479222|
|4.||CHASM||B J Mccarthy||Chris Symons||6||54||7yoG||63||$17,964||39: 8 5 6||20.51%||48.72%||008076|
|5.||SECOND EFFORT||C W Mcdonald||Danny Nikolic||2||54||5yoG||12||$11,186||15: 6 3 1||40.00%||66.67%||1117×5|
|6.||CAT’S PYJAMAS||M A Kavanagh||Stephen Baster||7||54||5yoM||24||$15,511||11: 5 0 3||45.45%||72.73%||113×81|
|7.||GALBRAITH||P A Healey||Michelle Payne||3||54||9yoG||7||$12,700||28: 7 1 1||25.00%||32.14%||x46415|
|8.||FROM THE TERRACE||M W Laurie||Not Notified||8||54||6yoG||21||$4,106||38: 5 5 5||13.16%||39.47%||9×7837|
*Form Guide Credit Ladbrokes.com.au