Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
We’ve said goodbye to the spring and it’s clear the new-season action in Australia is nearing its peak as the 2012 Tasmanian Summer Racing Carnival fast approaches.
One of the summer’s biggest series of race meetings, the AAMI Tasmanian Summer Racing Carnival is scheduled to kick off on January 22 with Hobart Guineas Day and will continue through until February 29, 2012 when the festival culminates with Launceston Cup Day.
A trio of Group 3 races highlight the racing line-up in Tasmania this season starting with the $150,000 Group 3 Bow Mistress Stakes (1200m) for fillies and mares on Sunday February 5, Tasmanian Derby Day.
The highly anticipated $300,000 Group 3 AAMI Hobart Cup (200m) follows on Sunday February 12 before the Group racing action finishes up with the $225,000 Group 3 AAMI Launceston Cup (2400m) on Wednesday February 29.
Already a number of exciting stayers have been named as possible Hobart – Launceston Cup candidates this year including David Hayes’ progressive Victorian mare Unchain My Heart.
The five-year-old daughter of Al Maher burst into 2012 Launceston Cup calculations when she burst through to win the Listed Bagot Handicap (2800m) at Flemington on Monday January 2.
With winning form up to 3000 metres, Hayes has the Launceston Cup in his sights for the super consistent stayer who has now won four of her past five starts.
“Everything now looks set to proceed with plans to run in the Launceston Cup and then head to South Australia for the Adelaide Cup,” Unchain My Heart’s owner, Prime Thoroughbreds director Joe O’Neill, said on Tuesday.
“David (Hayes) has always said she would make a stayer and since she won at Randwick on Melbourne Cup Day she’s had five goes at 2400 metres or further for four wins and a second.”
The $400,000 Group 2 Adelaide Cup (3200m) runs at Morphettville on March 12.
When it comes to having a punt on any of the races during the Tasmanian Summer Racing Carnival, make sure you get a better price by betting online with Luxbet who offer customers exclusive ‘Best of the Best’ markets.
2012 Tasmanian Summer Racing Carnival Feature Race Program
Sunday January 22, 2012 – Hobart Racecourse
- $90,000 Listed Hobart Guineas (2100m)
- $20,000 Summer Cup (2100m)
Wednesday (Night) February 1, 2012 – Launceston Racecourse
- $90,000 Listed TheTote.Com.Au Stakes (1200m)
- $30,000 1000 Guineas (1600m)
Sunday February 5, 2012 – Hobart Racecourse
- $150,000 Group 3 Bow Mistress Stakes (1200m)
- $100,000 Listed Tasmanian Derby (2200m)
- $100,000 Listed Elwick Stakes (1100m)
- $50,000 Ingham Jockey Club Cup (2100m)
- $30,000 Carbine Club Stakes (1100m)
Sunday February 12, 2012 – Hobart Racecourse
- $300,000 Group 3 Hobart Cup (2200m)
- $100,000 Listed Thomas Lyons Stakes (1400m)
- $100,000 Listed Strutt Stakes (2100m)
Wednesday (Night) February 15, 2012 – Launceston Racecourse
- $100,000 Listed Vamos Stakes (1400m)
- $50,000 Shaw Magic Millions Classic (1200m)
- $50,000 TasBreeders Tasmanian Yearling Sale Classic (1200m)
- $50,000 Magic Millions Open Classic (1200m)
Wednesday (Night) February 22, 2012 – Launceston Racecourse
- $100,000 Listed George Adams Plate (1600m)
- $100,000 Listed Tasmanian Oaks (2100m)
- $100,000 Listed Gold Sovereign Stakes (1200m)
Wednesday February 29, 2012 – Launceston Racecourse
- $225,000 Group 3 Launceston Cup (2400m)
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.