The major support race on the Kingston Town Classic Day program at Ascot on Saturday is the AJ Scahill Stakes 2011, and having studied the race field, form guide and history, defending champion Waratah’s Secret looks the definite horse to beat.
Last seen running fourth to Saturday’s 2011 Kingston Town Classic favourite Luckygray in the Railway Stakes, David Harrison’s Oratorio five-year-old Waratah’s Secret returns to Ascot looking to go back-to-back in the $125,000 Group 3 A.J. Scahill Stakes (1400m).
Their Railway Stakes run, when beaten five lengths, was an eye-catching one worth watching on the replay as they got checked at the 600 metre mark before recovering well to power home and hit the line strongly.
Facing a field of seven rivals, Waratah’s Secret is drawn ideally in gate four for Ascot Race 8 and the punters have been keen to get behind them as they sit as the $2.10 favourite through our preferred online bookmaker Luxbet.
There are certainly a number of other AJ Scahill Stakes hopefuls with genuine claims this year including Fred Kersley’s Winterbottom Stakes third placegetter Grand Nirvana ($3.10 Luxbet) and even $21 roughie Grey Monarch who comes off a smart win the Listed Carbine Club of WA Stakes (1400m).
It is Waratah’s Secret, however, that the Races.com.au team have rated special to win.
Why Waratah’s Secret Can Win the 2011 AJ Scahill Stakes –
- They drop back from a Group 1 mile to a Group 3 over 1400 metres
- Drawn favourably in barrier four
- Are suited to the weight-for-age conditions
- Boast an impressive record at the Track & Distance having won two of their four starts, recording a second and third place finish in their other two runs at Ascot over 1400 metres
- Have only finishing out of the money three times from their 11 Ascot races
- Have the highest Win Rate of the field by far with 45%, followed by #6 Elusive Touch (33.33% / $10 Luxbet)
- Also the most consistent horse in regards to Place Percentages with 80.00%
- Led all the way to win the Scahill last year, positioned to do so again this time as the only genuine speedster in the field
Harrison is confident having studied the speed map for the AJ Scahill that the race will suit his horse, Waratah’s Secret likely to turn the feature into a sprint test.
“He doesn’t have to lead, but if they don’t go fast enough he’ll make his own speed as he doesn’t like a slow place,” Harrison said.
“They might have to ride theirs out of their comfort zones if some have to go forward.”
Heard enough and ready to back Waratah’s Secret in the AJ Scahill Stakes markets?
Get a better price on all of your weekend race selections by betting online with Luxbet.
2011 AJ Scahill Stakes Odds
Ascot Race 8 – 03/12/2011
|1||TARZI (2)||51.00 Luxbet|
|2||GRAND NIRVANA (6)||3.10 Luxbet|
|3||WARATAH’S SECRET (4)||2.10 Luxbet|
|4||GREY MONARCH (7)||21.00 Luxbet|
|5||EGOS DARE (5)||19.00 Luxbet|
|6||ELUSIVE TOUCH (8)||10.00 Luxbet|
|7||MORANT (3)||10.00 Luxbet|
|8||AVANTE (1)||13.00 Luxbet|
*Fixed Win odds provided by Luxbet and subject to change