The key support race on Railway Stakes Day at Ascot this Saturday is the 2011 Winterbottom Stakes and to help our readers place the winning bets on this iconic sprint, below the Races.com.au team have the most comprehensive Winterbottom Stakes form guide and betting analysis.
Running as Ascot Race 9 at 4:25pm (local time) on Saturday, the $500,000 Group 1 Winterbottom Stakes (1200m) is shaping up as a top class showdown by some in-form locals looking to deny 2009 winner Ortensia her second success in the feature.
Ortensia is the pronounced $2.15 favourite in the latest markets at Luxbet.
There are now just 12 horses left in contention following the early scratching of #8 The Entourage and #13 All Friared Up.
The Stan Bates-trained Blackfriars mare All Friared Up, last seen running a brave third in the Group 3 Colonel Reeves Stakes (1100m) on November 1, was one of the top fancies in the Luxbet markets at a quote of $9 prior to their withdrawal.
Having studied the remaining Winterbottom Stakes field and form guide, below we have the essential facts and stats on the race including info on the best horses to back at Luxbet based on win rates and track and distance records.
2011 Winterbottom Stakes Betting – Form Guide Facts
- #2 Hadabeclorka ($34 Luxbet) is the defending Winterbottom Stakes winner while #11 Ortensia ($2.15 Luxbet) is also a former champion having won the 2009 edition
- Last year Hadabeclorka came off a sixth in the Colonel Reeves Stakes, jumped from barrier five with William Pike in the mount; this year they finished ninth (of nine) in the same lead-up run, are drawn in barrier nine and will be ridden by Glenn Smith
- Barrier five this year belongs to #6 Ego’s Dare ($31 Luxbet) while #10 Morant ($21 Luxbet) will be ridden by last year’s winning hoop Pike
- Also, #5 Kid Choisir ($8.50 Luxbet) ran sixth in their final lead-up run this year behind 2011 Railway Stakes favourite Ranger in the Group 2 Lee Steere Stakes (1400m) at Ascot on November 5
- Two years ago Ortenisa also jumped from barrier five and was ridden by Craig Williams, on Saturday she jumps from gate two and Williams is aboard again
- With All Friared Up out of the race, the best Win Rate of the field now belongs to #12 For Your Eyes Only (38.46%) followed closely by #9 Elusive Touch (35.71%), #5 Kid Choisir (33.33%), #11 Ortensia (32.14%) and #10 Morant (31.58%)
- #7 Rarefied (78.57%) boasts the highest Place Percentage followed by #10 Morant (73.68%), #9 Elusive Touch (71.43%) and #14 Avante (70.00%)
- Two last-start winners are in the field with #11 Ortensia (Listed G.H. Mumm Stakes, 1100m, Flemington, 03/11/2011) and #14 Avante (Group 3 Colonel Reeves Stakes, 1100m, Ascot, 01/11/2011)
- Aside from the winner Avante, other horses that have come via the Colonel Reeves Stakes this year (as Hadabeclorka did last year) are #4 Werd (2nd), #10 Morant (4th), #12 For Your Eyes Only (5th) and #2 Hadabeclorka (9th)
- The horse coming off the longest break is #3 Elliotto (91 days) followed by #9 Elusive Touch (48)
- Horses that have won at the Track & Distance are #2 Hadabeclorka (11-6-1-0), #3 Elliotto (10-3-2-0), #4 Werd (10-3-3-), #4 Kid Choisir (4-1-0-0), #11 Ortensia (1-1-0-0) and #12 For Your Eyes Only (4-2-0-1)
- #1 Grand Nirvana (4-0-3-0) may not have won over the track and distance before, but they shape up as a great Place bet having run second in three of their four attempts at Ascot over 1200 metres
- Every horse in the field has won over the distance on more than one occasion
- The only runners that haven’t been to Ascot before are #9 Elusive Touch, #7 Rarefied and #6 Ego’s Dare
Races.com.au will be publishing our insider Winterbottom Stakes tips shortly so make sure you bookmark this site.
In the meantime to get ready for the elite summer racing and betting action, or to lock in your own early picks for Ascot at a great price, head to Luxbet and sign up with Australia’s leading online bookmaker depositing and quoting the code BONUSBET to also receive a bonus welcome bet valued up to $400!
2011 Winterbottom Stakes Field & Form Guide
Ascot Race 9 – 19/11/2011
|1.||GRAND NIRVANA||F R Kersley||Peter Hall||10||58.5||6yoG||14||$29,511||33: 9 5 5||27.27%||57.58%||113×22|
|2.||HADABECLORKA||B R Larsson||G L Smith||9||58.5||10yo||18||$19,473||44: 9 6 5||20.45%||45.45%||2645×9|
|3.||ELLIOTTO||N D Parnham||Brad Parnham||1||58.5||7yoG||91||$12,962||36: 9 6 6||25.00%||58.33%||407x3x|
|4.||WERD||Chris Gangemi||Craig Staples||6||58.5||7yoG||18||$12,095||34: 9 8 4||26.47%||61.76%||4×1262|
|5.||KID CHOISIR||A M Mcnamara||Paul Harvey||13||58.5||5yoG||14||$18,188||21: 7 5 0||33.33%||57.14%||022156|
|6.||EGO’S DARE||Grant Williams||Shaun O’Donnell||5||58.5||7yoG||14||$10,086||31: 6 3 4||19.35%||41.94%||0x5409|
|7.||RAREFIED||Peter Snowden||Kerrin Mc Evoy||7||58.5||5yoG||21||$21,196||14: 3 3 5||21.43%||78.57%||336×22|
|8.||THE ENTOURAGE||Chris Gangemi||SCRATCHED||11||58.5||5yoG||18||$11,612||30: 5 9 7||16.67%||70.00%||25×216|
|9.||ELUSIVE TOUCH||Shane Edwards||Peter Knuckey||14||58.5||6yoG||48||$20,129||14: 5 2 3||35.71%||71.43%||34×190|
|10.||MORANT||R and C Price||William Pike||4||58.5||5yoG||18||$15,329||19: 6 6 2||31.58%||73.68%||11×174|
|11.||ORTENSIA||Paul Messara||Craig Williams||2||56.5||6yoM||16||$44,604||28: 9 3 4||32.14%||57.14%||3670×1|
|12.||FOR YOUR EYES ONLY||P H Jordan||Troy Turner||8||56.5||5yoM||18||$22,390||26: 10 2 4||38.46%||61.54%||39x0L5|
|13.||ALL FRIARED UP||S R Bates||Jason Whiting||12||56.5||4yoM||18||$21,012||13: 7 1 2||53.85%||76.92%||x11303|
|14.||AVANTE||Grant Williams||Kyra Yuill (a)||3||56.5||5yoM||18||$11,970||20: 6 6 2||30.00%||70.00%||x11341|
*Form Guide Credit Ladbrokes.com.au