Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
This Saturday the most lucrative and high-status race held in Perth for the year will run at Ascot Racecourse with the Railway Stakes 2011 taking center stage, and below Races.com.au have a comprehensive Railway Stakes form guide and betting analysis exclusive to our readers.
Worth $1 million in prize money, the time-honoured mile showdown is scheduled to run as Ascot Race 8 at 3:45pm (local time) on Saturday with a capacity Railway Stakes field engaged.
With 16 starters, two emergencies, multiple Group 1 performers, two 57kg top weights, four from the stables of Grant Williams, six last-start winners, three gallopers vying for their fourth straight win and a quartet of hopefuls at single-figures in the Luxbet markets there is certainly a lot for punters to consider before placing their Railway Stakes bets this year.
Can $3.60 favourite Ranger salute for the punters? Do favourites have a good record in the race?
Will visiting jockey Craig Williams be able to score an upset aboard Avienus? Or are the locals the way to bet?
Is barrier 14 too wide for one-time top elect Luckygray to salute? What are the most successful barriers over the years?
In order to place a bet on the Railway Stakes with the best chance of success it is essential to know the field, facts and form guide stats.
To save you scrolling through the full field and form, below the Races.com.au team have done the hard work for you and compiled the best need-to-know Railway Stakes form guide facts to help you pick the winner and lock them in at Luxbet.
2011 Railway Stakes Form Guide Facts & Odds
- Last year’s Railway Stakes winner was Sydney raider Gathering who came off a sixth in the Crystal Mile, jumped from barrier six and was ridden by Craig Williams
- This year the non-locals in the field are Mark Webb’s Victorian mare #6 Avienus ($10 Luxbet), Roger James’ Kiwi visitor #9 He’s Remarkable ($7 Luxbet) and #14 Spacecraft ($26 Luxbet) from the Flemington stables of David Hayes
- #9 He’s Remarkable ($7 Luxbet) is the only horse that has come via the Crystal Mile this year having run third
- #3 Ranger ($3.60F Luxbet) has drawn last year’s winning barrier six, but if the emergencies don’t gain a start it will be #4 King Kool Kat ($26 Luxbet) who moves into the gate
- Williams is back this year with the ride on #6 Avienus ($10 Luxbet)
- #11 Luckygray boasts the highest Win Rate of the field by far with 75%, they are followed by #2 Waratah’s Secret (47.37%) and #5 Lords Ransom (42.86%)
- The best Place Rates belong to #11 Luckygray (87.50%), #2 Waratah’s Secret (84.21%), #3 Ranger (75.00%) and #1 Playing God (70.00%)
- There are six last-start winners engaged with #3 Ranger (Group 2 Lee Steere Stakes, 1400m, Ascot, 05/11/2011), #9 He’s Remarkable (1600m, Flemington, 05/11/2011), #10 Kincaple (Listed Kalgoorlie Cup, 2300m, Kalgoorlie, 17/09/2011), #11 Luckygray (Group 3 Asian Beau Stakes, 1400m, Ascot, 29/10/2011), #13 Rocky Range (Listed Ascot Gold Cup, 1800m, Ascot, 05/11/2011) and #16 Westriver Kevydonn (Group 3 R.J. Peters Stakes, 1500m, Ascot, 12/11/2011)
- #11 Luckygray is out to become the third horse in the past decade to claim the Asian Beau Stakes – Railway Stakes double joining Gilded Venom (2008) and El Presidente (2007)
- #3 Ranger looks to join Belle Bizarre (2006) as a Lee Steere Stakes – Railway Stakes double winner in the same season in the past 10 years
- #16 Westriver Kevydonn, if successful, will become the second horse in the last decade to score the RJ Peters Stakes – Railway Stakes double joining El Presidente (2007)
- Topweights have a poor record in the Railway with Sniper’s Bullet (56.5kg in 2009) having carried the most weight to victory since the introduction of the metric system; this rules out #1 Playing God ($9 Luxbet) and #2 Waratah’s Secret ($16 Luxbet) on 57kg this year
- Four-year-olds have the best record having won 21 of the past 52 editions, five in the past 10 years; there are three 4YO’s racing this year with #1 Playing God ($9 Luxbet), #9 He’s Remarkable ($7 Luxbet) and #11 Luckygray ($5 Luxbet)
- Geldings have won eight of the last 10 Railway Stakes; 14 of the 18 acceptors this year are geldings but the only four-year-old gelding – combining the above two stats – is #11 Luckygray ($5 Luxbet)
- Horses that have won at the Track & Distance before are #1 Playing God (1-1-0-0), #3 Ranger (2-1-0-1), #8 Big Ted (4-1-2-0) and #13 Rocky Range (10-2-4-1)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Railway Stakes betting tips to be published shortly.
Made your own selections and want to get in on the action now?
Head straight to Luxbet where you will find the best Ascot race odds for all of Saturday’s showdowns, and if you are new to sign up and deposit with this ace online bookie make sure you quote the codeword BONUSBET to enjoy a $400 bonus bet!
2011 Railway Stakes Field & Form Guide
Ascot Race 8 – 19/11/2011
|1.||PLAYING GOD||N D Parnham||Steven Parnham||9||57||4yoH||28||$53,721||20: 6 4 4||30.00%||70.00%||245360|
|2.||WARATAH’S SECRET||D R Harrison||Paul Harvey||3||57||5yoG||14||$31,129||19: 9 6 1||47.37%||84.21%||Lx2213|
|3.||RANGER||Grant Williams||William Pike||6||56||5yoG||14||$24,609||16: 6 2 4||37.50%||75.00%||30×111|
|4.||KING KOOL KAT||I S Glading||Duncan Miller||8||55||8yoG||14||$10,143||68: 8 8 21||11.76%||54.41%||134635|
|5.||LORDS RANSOM||Grant Williams||Brad Parnham||4||54||8yoG||14||$34,399||21: 9 0 2||42.86%||52.38%||1x0x97|
|6.||AVIENUS||M C Webb||Craig Williams||10||53||6yoM||14||$16,463||33: 5 7 2||15.15%||42.42%||092204|
|7.||BATTLE EMBLEM||Grant Williams||Kyra Yuill (a)||11||53||8yoG||14||$10,078||46: 9 7 6||19.57%||47.83%||528328|
|8.||BIG TED||Ivan Haggerty||K L Chui||16||53||6yoG||14||$7,142||26: 5 5 3||19.23%||50.00%||0x2364|
|9.||HE’S REMARKABLE||R A James||Kerrin Mc Evoy||1||53||4yoH||14||$18,781||14: 5 1 2||35.71%||57.14%||0x1131|
|10.||KINCAPLE||M B Reed||Troy Turner||15||53||6yoG||63||$13,265||23: 7 6 3||30.43%||69.57%||121121|
|11.||LUCKYGRAY||G P Poletti||Shaun O’Donnell||14||53||4yoG||21||$31,028||8: 6 1 0||75.00%||87.50%||42×111|
|12.||MEGA STEEL||B A Mcclune||Jarrad Noske||17||53||6yoG||14||$10,915||37: 7 10 5||18.92%||59.46%||715323|
|13.||ROCKY RANGE||A D Mathews||Shaun Meeres||13||53||8yoG||14||$7,492||48: 9 10 6||18.75%||52.08%||06×241|
|14.||SPACECRAFT||D A Hayes||Peter Knuckey||12||53||5yoG||21||$14,662||22: 5 1 3||22.73%||40.91%||4×4804|
|15.||TRANQUILITY||Grant Williams||Jason Whiting||18||53||5yoM||7||$12,530||15: 3 4 2||20.00%||60.00%||6×3432|
|16.||WESTRIVER KEVYDONN||Ms P Kenney||Patrick Carbery||2||53||6yoG||7||$11,179||16: 6 1 4||37.50%||68.75%||513111|
|17.||OUR OL’ FELLA||S J Wolfe||Shaun Mc Gruddy||7||53||5yoG||14||$11,156||29: 8 5 2||27.59%||51.72%||216325|
|18.||RINGMEISTER||L Smith||Not Notified||5||53||5yoG||27||$10,083||15: 5 4 0||33.33%||60.00%||20×102|
*Form Guide Credit Ladbrokes.com.au
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.