Black Caviar is again the horse to beat when the superlative sprinter steals the Emirates Stakes Day spotlight at Flemington this Saturday vying for her incredible 16th consecutive career success in the 2011 Patinack Farm Classic.
One of two elite levels at Flemington’s closing Melbourne Cup Carnival meeting along with the Emirates Stakes 2011, the $1 million Group 1 Patianack Farm Classic (1200m) has this year attracted a final field of just seven with Peter Moody’s undefeated queen scaring away the majority of the spring sprint stars.
Last seen racing her way into the history books with another freakishly authoritative six length victory in the Group 2 Schweppes Stakes (1200m) at Moonee Valley on Cox Plate Day, Australia’s reigning Horse of the Year Black Caviar returns to Flemington on Saturday for the first time since March.
Twelve months ago she faced the same number of Patinack Farm Classic rivals, defeating all six in emphatic style including runner-up Star Witness by four lengths, which was her maiden Group 1 turf triumph.
Since Emirates Stakes Day last year Black Caviar has exceeded the expectations of all and become a genuine cult horse with another five elite level victories during her autumn – winter campaign.
Back for the spring Black Caviar has successfully defended her titles in both the Schillci and Schweppes Stakes and now she is out for back-to-back Patianck Farm Classic wins as well.
In the pre-field Patinack Farm Classic 2011 odds at Luxbet Black Caviar was already odds-on at $1.06 to win.
With her rivals now officially announced and Black Caviar drawing ideally in barrier four, she jumped from gate six in last year’s edition, she is set to start at possibly her shortest price yet.
Moody has an incredible stranglehold over the Patinack Farm Classic this year, not only with the sure-to-be winner Black Caviar, but he has also accepted for three of her smart stablemates.
Black Caviar will be accompanied in the 2011 Patinack Farm Classic field by stablemates:
- #5 Mid Summer Music (barrier 2) – Ben Melham to ride this six-year-old mare, multiple Group winner, in her last eight starts has won four, run second twice, placed third once and was last seen finishing a close sixth beaten one and a quarter lengths by Sister Madly in the Group 2 Salinger Stakes (1200m) on Derby Day
- #6 Curtana (barrier 3) – Exceed And Excel mare was in flying form when second to Sepoy in the Caulfield Sprint before her disappointing 13th in the Salinger, something amiss or did the big field and inside draw just not suit?
- #7 Panipique (barrier 7) – Testa Rossa four-year-old least-fancied of the Moody contingent here having been unplaced in her last two runs, barrier 7 looks bad on paper but will actually suit her racing style better than an inside draw
Rounding out the Patinack Farm Classic field are then:
- Dan Morton’s gallant old galloper Scenic Blast on the rails who ran last to Black Caviar in the Schweppes Stakes in their first-up run in 11 months
- Robert Heathcote’s gallant sprinter Buffering giving it another crack having been beaten by the queen in the BTC Cup during the winter, didn’t fire when sixth in the Caulfield Sprint last-start but looks a genuine place chance
- Mathew Ellerton and Simon Zahra-trained five-year-old mare Response, a dual Group 1 winner who will relish coming back to the 1200m here after getting found out of the Myer when beaten nearly 16 lengths in the Myer Classic on Derby Day
See below for the complete 2011 Patinack Farm Classic field, barriers and weights.
Stay tuned to Races.com.au throughout the rest of the week for all the latest Patinack Farm Classic previews, betting tips and field updates.
Black Caviar is better than bank interest, this is now a common saying in the punting circles and one proving to be true time and time again.
So get behind her again this weekend at Luxbet and for value take out a Patinack Farm Classic exotic bet and receive the best of the totes plus a 5% bonus if your exotic selections are correct!
2011 Patinack Farm Classic Final Field & Barrier Draw
|#||Form (Last 10)||Horse||Trainer||Jockey||Barrier||Wgt.||Hcp. Rating|
|1||X0X42533X4||SCENIC BLAST||Daniel Morton||Steven Arnold||1||58.5kg||109|
|2||X13744X146||BUFFERING||Robert Heathcote||Nash Rawiller||5||58.5kg||107|
|3||1X11111X11||BLACK CAVIAR||Peter G Moody||Luke Nolen||4||56.5kg||128|
|4||74167X8330||RESPONSE||Mathew Ellerton & Simon Zahra||–||6||56.5kg||110|
|5||8X11211236||MID SUMMER MUSIC||Peter G Moody||Ben Melham||2||56.5kg||102|
|6||1X117X3420||CURTANA||Peter G Moody||–||3||56.5kg||101|
|7||9177X65189||PANIPIQUE||Peter G Moody||Michael Walker||7||56.5kg||98|