Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
Either every other runner in the 24-horse Melbourne Cup field falls on Tuesday or Older Than Time has zero chance of producing the biggest upset our greatest race has seen in the last century, that’s the story on Gai Waterhouse’s long-shot if you go by the 2011 Melbourne Cup odds.
Don Eduardo mare Older Than Time is the $201 roughie of this year’s Melbourne Cup showdown at Luxbet, no-one except for her ever hopeful trainer rating her as any kind of chance in the iconic two-mile feature.
Waterhouse swears that Older Than Time is a two miler and will go the Cup distance on Tuesday, but then 12 months ago she said that about her Caulfield Cup winner Descarado who failed to finish the Melbourne Cup in 2010.
So what’s different about this mare? Well she has run the distance before when second in the Sydney Cup back in April, but that was on a Heavy (10) track at Randwick and Flemington on firm ground is a whole different story.
But she is still there in the field and in with a chance, however slim, so let’s take a better look at this roughie and see if there is anything to suggest Older Than Time is the value pick of the year.
#24 Older Than Time – Horse Form
- Jockey: Tim Clark
- Trainer: Gai Waterhouse
- Owners: Gooree Pastoral Company
- Age: 5YO
- Gender: Mare
- Breeding: by Don Eduardo (NZ) from Up The Hill
- Career: 16:5-4-1
- Prize Money: $243,905
- Track: 1-0-0-0
- Distance: 1-0-1-0
- Current Melbourne Cup Odds: $201 to Win / $51 to Place – Bet now at Luxbet
Why Older Than Time is the $201 Melbourne Cup Betting Roughie
- Gai Waterhouse has never prepared a Melbourne Cup winner
- Jockey Tim Clark is a good rider but not a big-race specialist
- Drawn awkwardly in barrier 20, last winner from this gate was Empire Rose (1988)
- Their 11th in The Lexus Stakes was worse than disappointing, she was beaten 13 lengths no excuses
- Needs heavens to open up to be any kind of top 10 chance
Why Having a Sneaky Punt on Older Than Time in the Melbourne Cup Odds Could Pay Off
- Is one of only six horses in the field that has finished top three over the distance, Older Than Time running second in the Sydney Cup
- Have they been waiting to get to this distance again?
- This is only career start No. 17 – does this give her an advantage?
- Waterhouse said The Lexus was just to give Older Than Time a run before the Cup and to forget that run
- Has one of the better winning strike rates of the field with 31.25%; the highest Win Rate belongs to #9 Lucas Cranach (50% – $12 Luxbet)
- Goes in as a 51kg lightweight meaning they meet the favourite Americain ($5 Luxbet) seven kilos better; only other horse carrying 51kg is The Lexus Stakes winner Niwot
- Is the right age as a 5YO with 43 five-year-olds saluting in the Melbourne Cup throughout the years, this is equal highest with 4YO’s
- Despite the price, isn’t the worse horse in the race
- Hey at $201 why wouldn’t you chuck a dollar on it!
Having a bet however big or small on the Melbourne Cup is an Aussie tradition.
Continue this great custom in 2011 but give it a modern twist by avoiding the TAB with their long lines and inferior odds and starting a new tradition of betting online with Luxbet.
Luxbet have the most competitive and enticing range of Melbourne Cup betting odds and options starting with their $500 bonus bet available to new depositing players that enter the promo code BONUSBET.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.