Americain may have retained his favouritism to go back-to-back in the world’s richest handicap after the release of the 2011 Melbourne Cup Field & Barriers despite drawing wide in gate 15 on Saturday afternoon, but the biggest market mover in the Cup odds has been eleventh-hour acceptor Niwot.
Only just gaining a start in the $6 million Group 1 Melbourne Cup (3200m), running as Flemington Race 7 on Tuesday at 3:00pm (AEDST), the Michael, Wayne and John Hawkes-trained veteran galloper Niwot has been one of the best backed runners in the time-honoured two-mile showdown since winning The Lexus Stakes (2500m) on Derby Day.
Before Saturday punters could find seven-year-old Galileo gelding Niwot at Melbourne Cup odds of $101, but they were soon slashed into $17 at Luxbet after earning a ballot exemption into the famous Flemington feature.
Following in the hoofsteps of their talented stablemate Maluckyday who won The Lexus Stakes last year before their game second to Americain in the 2010 Melbourne Cup, Niwot has since shortened again and is now paying $15 at Luxbet after drawing to perfection in barrier nine.
Moments after the updated Melbourne Cup betting odds were released at Luxbet on Saturday afternoon the Races.com.au reported on the new prices for the field.
Overnight, however, money has already started to come in for a number of runners while there have also been some drifters in the markets.
Below is a look at the latest Melbourne Cup 2011 betting market movers and drifters at our preferred online bookmaker Luxbet.
2011 Melbourne Cup Betting Market Movers & Drifters
- #2 Jukebox Jury ($11 out to $12 Luxbet) – Drawn well in barrier six but the punters have shied away slightly from the first of two Melbourne Cup horses for European trainer Mark Johnston, has good form back home having won the Prix Kergorlay and dead-heated with fellow Melbourne Cup starter Red Cadeaux, but are only 1kg off the favourite
- #3 Dunaden ($8 into $7.50 Luxbet) – Lots of early money on the impressive Geelong Cup winner, drawn midfield in barrier 13 two inside the favourite, gets in at a nice weight 54.5kg and looking to have a similar form line to Americain last year who won the Geelong Cup then carried this weight to victory, but does Williams get the ride?
- #6 Manighar ($41 into $31 Luxbet) – Bit of a surprise to seem big bucks being bet on this galloper due to their horror barrier 21 draw, one of two in the field for Luca Cumani, they were seventh in last year’s Melbourne Cup and need to show improvement to win this, looks a solid Place chance
- #9 Lucas Cranach ($11 into $10 Luxbet) – Barrier 11 draw could go either way for Freedman’s German import, fifth in the Caulfield Cup wasn’t a bad start and has the fitness to emerge a genuine challenger, but not if they emulate their sire Mamool who ran dead last in the 2003 Melbourne Cup when Makybe Diva scored the first of her historical three wins
- #13 Hawk Island ($61 out to $81 Luxbet) – No one wants to take Waller’s perpetually unlucky Hawk Wing gelding, come off two unlucky runs when second to stablemate and fellow Cup hope The Verminator in The Metropolitan before finishing 13th in the Caulfield Cup, have staying potential and could have won the Sydney Cup if not for their fall, but no Melbourne Cup winner has ever jumped from barrier 18
- #15 Lost In The Moment ($31 into $26 Luxbet) – Godolphin’s Lost In The Moment to get a gun run from barrier three, as will their stablemate Modun also at $26 and in barrier 5, hasn’t been seen here but so the money comes because of the draw
- #20 Shamrocker ($52 into $41 Luxbet) – One of only two mares in Melbourne Cup contention, Danny O’Brien’s dual Classics winner is no Makybe and the money comes even though she drew barrier 24 of 24, why? Could be the 52kg
- #22 Tullamore ($26 into $21 Luxbet) – Plenty of people will be happy Waterhouse’s in-form galloper gets their chance here, Caulfield Cup third and Moonee Valley Cup second say they will be competitive, have the right weight (52kg), decent draw (12), but could have been up just a little too long with a few too many runs
For the full Melbourne Cup betting odds and options, and to lock your picks in at the best prices, head to Australia’s leading online bookmaker Luxbet now!
Only have a few spare bucks but want to put a decent wager on our greatest race? Luxbet are the bookie for you giving all new customers that deposit just $25 a $100 BONUS BET you can use on the Melbourne Cup just by entering to exclusive code Luxbet $100 Bonus.
2011 Melbourne Cup Odds
|1||AMERICAIN (15)||4.40 Luxbet|
|2||JUKEBOX JURY (6)||12.00 Luxbet|
|3||DUNADEN (13)||7.50 Luxbet|
|4||DRUNKEN SAILOR (8)||41.00 Luxbet|
|5||GLASS HARMONIUM (23)||34.00 Luxbet|
|6||MANIGHAR (21)||31.00 Luxbet|
|7||UNUSUAL SUSPECT (7)||26.00 Luxbet|
|8||FOX HUNT (19)||26.00 Luxbet|
|9||LUCAS CRANACH (11)||10.00 Luxbet|
|10||MOURAYAN (14)||17.00 Luxbet|
|11||PRECEDENCE (2)||41.00 Luxbet|
|12||RED CADEAUX (16)||31.00 Luxbet|
|13||HAWK ISLAND (18)||81.00 Luxbet|
|14||ILLO (1)||19.00 Luxbet|
|15||LOST IN THE MOMENT (3)||26.00 Luxbet|
|16||MODUN (5)||26.00 Luxbet|
|17||AT FIRST SIGHT (10)||14.00 Luxbet|
|18||MOYENNE CORNICHE (17)||26.00 Luxbet|
|19||SAPATAPADI (22)||101.00 Luxbet|
|20||SHAMROCKER (24)||41.00 Luxbet|
|21||THE VERMINATOR (4)||101.00 Luxbet|
|22||TULLAMORE (12)||21.00 Luxbet|
|23||NIWOT (9)||15.00 Luxbet|
|24||OLDER THAN TIME (20)||101.00 Luxbet|
*Fixed Win Odds from Luxbet and subject to change