Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
This Victoria Derby Day Gai Waterhouse’s class mare More Joyous has one of her toughest assignments to date when she faces off against a star-studded field of fellow female milers in the 2011 Myer Classic, and below the Races.com.au team take a look at the full field, form and betting history to reveal our exclusive Myer Classic tips – but is More Joyous our top pick?
The $500,000 Group 1 Myer Classic (1600m) is scheduled to run as Flemington Race 7 on Saturday at 3:45pm (AEDST), one event after the ace race of the day the 2011 Victoria Derby.
After the three-year-olds have run and the Derby has been won, it is the fillies – or filly as is the case this year – and mares turn to shine in the Myer Classic.
Currently a capacity 16 starters are engaged for the feature, sole emergency Guiseppina gaining a start following the early scratching of #12 Yosei.
Leading the field is Waterhouse’s five-time Group 1 winning star More Joyous, the No. 1 mare sitting No. 1 in the Myer Classic odds at $2.60 through Luxbet.
These are short odds for the rank contender, but More Joyous is not a young filly anymore and she will have to dig deep to salute for the punters here from her awkward barrier 13 draw with 57kg.
So what does the Myer Classic form and winning history say? Is it safe to stick with the favourite More Joyous to win? Or is it 49kg lightweight Mosheen who will come away victorious?
What barriers are the best to jump from in this race, or is there a long-shot in the field with some surprise statistics suggesting an upset?
See below where the Races.com.au crew have listed all the essential and interesting Myer Classic field facts and betting stats that we have uncovered having done a comprehensive form guide analysis.
2011 Myer Classic Betting Analysis & Form Statistics
- Last year’s Myer Classic winner Sacred Choice ($17 Luxbet) is back for another crack this year, 12 months ago she jumped from barrier six with Corey Brown aboard, this year she must overcome gate 17 and will need it wet; #13 Sistine Angel ($26 Luxbet) has barrier six on Saturday
- No mare has won the Myer Classic more than once
- #1 More Joyous boasts the highest Win Rate of the field by far with 71.43%; the next best belong to #17 Guiseppina (44.44%) and #9 Varenna Miss (41.67%)
- The most consistent Place Percentages belong to #16 Mosheen (85.71%), #1 More Joyous (80.95%) and #10 Skyerush (74.07%)
- #16 Mosheen ($4.40 Luxbet) carries just 49kg meeting her rivals a minimum 7.5kg better in the weights, but would have to be the first filly to take out the race since their inclusion in 2002; four fillies have attempted with Alinghi (2nd in 2004) the only to finish top three
- There are three last-start winners in the field with #1 More Joyous (1400m, Caulfield, 15/10/2011), #10 Skyerush (1600m, Gosford, 16/10/2011) and #14 Banchee (1400m, Taupo, 06/10/2011)
- Mares aged four or six years old have had the most luck over the past 10 years with four wins a piece; this year there are three 4YO’s with #13 Sistine Angel ($26 Luxbet), #14 Banchee ($51 Luxbet) and #15 Born To Rock ($31 Luxbet); there are also two 6YO’s with #2 Sacred Choice ($17 Luxbet) and #10 Skyerush ($21 Luxbet)
- Barriers 1 – 4 have produced the most winners over the past decade with five victories; this year the mares drawn in the historically favourable gates are #3 Lady Lynette (4), #4 Response (3), #5 Majestic Music (2) and #6 Moment In Time (1)
- Mares that have won over the Track & Distance before are #2 Sacred Choice (1-1-0-0), #4 Response (1-1-0-0), #5 Majestic Music (1-1-0-0), #8 Dysphonia (1-1-0-0), #13 Sistine Angel (1-1-0-0) and #16 Mosheen (1-1-0-0)
- Based on winning form over the mile the mares to back are: #1 More Joyous (4-3-0-0), #2 Sacred Choice (9-4-1-2), #3 Lady Lynette (12-3-3-4), #5 Majestic Music (11-3-2-0), #8 Dysphonia (3-2-0-0), #10 Skyerush (4-1-1-2) and #16 Mosheen (2-1-1-0)
- More Joyous may be seeing Flemington for the first time but there are a number of Flemington winners in this lot with #2 Sacred Choice (2-1-0-1), #3 Lady Lynette (10-1-1-1), #4 Response (6-1-2-2), #5 Majestic Music (3-2-0-0), #6 Moment In Time (5-1-1-0), #8 Dysphonia (4-1-1-1), #13 Sistine Angel (5-1-2-0) and #16 Mosheen (2-1-0-0)
Having looked over the above information carefully, we believe that Mosheen can buck the trend of fillies failing and score a narrow victory over the classy More Joyous with Response snaring third; in fourth Skyerush will add value.
Races.com.au Myer Classic 2011 Tip
- #16 Mosheen from #1 More Joyous, #4 Response and #10 Skyerush
Like our Myer Classic Trifecta or our First Four selections and want to lock them in now? Head to Luxbet where all the best Victoria Derby Day betting action is at and get Best Tote Exotics + 5% Bonus, with no cap on your winnings, on every Flemington race this Saturday!
New to sign up with Luxbet? You don’t have to deposit a small fortune to enjoy the benefits and bonuses at Luxbet as they have an exclusive offer when you join and deposit just $100 quoting the code Luxbet $100 Bonus – a $100 bonus bet to match that!
2011 Myer Classic Field & Form Guide
Flemington Race 7 – 29/10/2011
|1.||MORE JOYOUS||Ms G Waterhouse||Nash Rawiller||13||57||5yoM||14||$114,298||21: 15 0 2||71.43%||80.95%||110×31|
|2.||SACRED CHOICE||Joseph Pride||Corey Brown||17||57||6yoM||28||$58,754||35: 9 3 7||25.71%||54.29%||2×7589|
|3.||LADY LYNETTE||D and S Brunton||Michael Rodd||4||57||7yoM||7||$22,634||44: 13 7 9||29.55%||65.91%||743103|
|4.||RESPONSE||M Ellerton and S Zahra||Dwayne Dunn||3||57||5yoM||14||$45,365||18: 4 4 3||22.22%||61.11%||67×833|
|5.||MAJESTIC MUSIC||L Macdonald and A Gluyas||Craig Newitt||2||57||5yoM||21||$31,661||27: 6 5 2||22.22%||48.15%||52×048|
|6.||MOMENT IN TIME||John Thompson||Joao Moreira||1||57||7yoM||27||$15,201||39: 6 7 2||15.38%||38.46%||x667x8|
|7.||HURTLE MYRTLE||Matthew Smith||Damien Oliver||15||57||5yoM||14||$25,067||18: 3 3 3||16.67%||50.00%||518×25|
|8.||DYSPHONIA||Peter Snowden||Kerrin Mc Evoy||8||57||5yoM||14||$17,390||22: 7 2 4||31.82%||59.09%||31×035|
|9.||VARENNA MISS||A W Noonan||Steven King||9||57||5yoM||14||$25,967||12: 5 1 1||41.67%||58.33%||115×50|
|10.||SKYERUSH||G H Walter||Steven Arnold||5||57||6yoM||13||$11,465||27: 7 5 8||25.93%||74.07%||33×231|
|11.||GOON SERPENT||D R Jolly||Nicholas Hall||7||57||5yoM||14||$11,365||15: 4 2 2||26.67%||53.33%||0x6504|
|12.||YOSEI||S J Webb||Michelle Payne||14||56.5||4yoM||21||$50,082||18: 4 1 1||22.22%||33.33%||601007|
|13.||SISTINE ANGEL||Andrew Noblet||Danny Nikolic||6||56.5||4yoM||14||$28,642||13: 2 3 2||15.38%||53.85%||035×27|
|14.||BANCHEE||J G Sargent||James Mc Donald (a)||16||56.5||4yoM||23||$21,089||16: 6 2 1||37.50%||56.25%||1107×1|
|15.||BORN TO ROCK||M D Moroney||Glyn Schofield||11||56.5||4yoM||14||$13,250||14: 5 1 1||35.71%||50.00%||513×18|
|16.||MOSHEEN||R W Smerdon||Craig Williams||12||49||3yoF||17||$133,029||7: 2 2 2||28.57%||85.71%||x35312|
|17.||GUISEPPINA||Steven Ramsay||Not Notified||10||57||5yoM||21||$4,098||9: 4 1 1||44.44%||66.67%||110×26|
*Form Guide Credit Ladbrokes.com.au
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.