Wealthy owner Lloyd Williams has bought many European horses to win Australia’s big races which on the whole have been disappointing.
But in 2011, times are changin’ and Midas Touch is to be leading the charge.
The Irish import, formerly trained by Aiden O’Brien, at $12 with Luxbet could easily give Williams a win in the 2011 $1m Group 1 Mackinnon Stakes (2000m) at Flemington.
2011 Mackinnon Stakes – horse profile
#3 Midas Touch (barrier 3) 59kg
- Five year old bay/brown horse
- Record: 13 starts 2 wins 3 second 3 third.
- Winning distance range 1408m to 2012m
- Best win: Group 2 Irish Derby Trial at Leopardstown (2012m).
- Trainer: Robert Hickmott
- Jockey, Nicholas Hall.
- Latest price Luxbet $9
While Williams has owned three Melbourne Cup winner, the breeding of Just A Dash (1981), What A Nuisance (1985) and Efficient (2007) were Australasian.
No horse has won Williams a Mackinnon Stakes.
Midas Touch is heading towards Tuesday’s Melbourne Cup but if any horse needs a good hit out before the race he is it.
It appears Midas Touch will go into the Cup a tad under done as the 2011 Mackinnon Stakes will be his first start in six weeks.
But the Williams camp are meticulous and have planned it this way stating that European horse need less racing.
In Europe, Midas Touch competed in the best Group 1 races, 2010 Epsom Derby (5th), 2010 Irish Derby (2nd), 2010 English St Leger (2nd) and 2010 Prix de L’arc de Triomphe (17th).
He has shown he has adapted well to Australian conditions with a third placings in the Group 2 Makybe Diva and Group 1 Underwood Stakes.
Jockey Nicholas Hall rode Midas Touch closer to the lead in the Underwood which was his latest run on September 17.
While initially outsprinted at the top of the straight by Lion Tamer and Southern Speed, the five-year-old rallied in the final 200m to finish close up.
It was a sign that Midas Touch is in good touch.
Why can Midas Touch win the 2011 Mackinnon Stakes?
- He is a winner at 2000m
- He has a touch of class that has transferred from Europe to Australia successfully.
- He is beautifully drawn in barrier 3 and jockey Nick Hall can take advantage of his natural cruising speed and have him well placed.
- He is lightly raced and the best is likely to be still be ahead of him.
Why Midas Touch won’t win the 2011 Mackinnon Stakes.
- He may need the run after a six week break in readiness for Tuesday’s Melbourne Cup.
Verdict: He has an excellent chance of winning the 2011 Mackinnon Stakes.
With Luxbet you can bet with confidence on all four Group 1 Victoria Derby Day features as they also have an exclusive $250 Bonus Refund for Second special. Back a horse to Win, watch it run 2nd, get up to $250 back as a bonus refund bet but only at Luxbet