Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
This Saturday upset Caulfield Cup winner Southern Speed returns to the turf a fortnight after her breakthrough Group 1 success looking to add another elite level title to her increasingly impressive record by winning the Mackinnon Stakes 2011 before being turned out to the paddock for a well-earned break.
Despite being a last-start winner of a spring major, the Leon Macdonald-trained Southern Image mare is not the favourite for the $1 million Group 1 Mackinnon Stakes (2000m) on Victoria Derby Day, that honour belongs to Rekindled Interest.
While Cox Plate third placegetter Rekindled Interest leads the Mackinnon Stakes odds at Luxbet paying $3.80, Southern Speed occupies the next line of betting at an easing price of $7.
In the Caulfield Cup the four-year-old got a gun run from barrier three with Craig Williams in the mount, and while Williams retains the ride on Saturday the pair have far more work to do from their gate 10 of 14 draw.
#13 Southern Speed – Horse Form
- Jockey: Craig Williams
- Trainer: Leon Macdonald & Andrew Gluyas
- Owner: Mr B H Perks, Ms A M Clough, Mr T J Robertson, MRs E A Robertson, Mr R B Fairclough, Mrs B D Fairclough
- Age: 4YO
- Gender: Mare
- Breeding: by Southern Image (USA) from Golden Eagle (NZ)
- Career: 12:4-2-1
- Prize Money: $2,006,850
- Track: 3-1-0-0
- Distance: 2-0-0-1
- Dead: 4-1-0-0
- Current Mackinnon Stakes Odds: $7 – bet now at Luxbet
Why Southern Speed Can Win the Caulfield Cup – Mackinnon Stakes 2011 Double
- May have a wide draw but showed she could run well from a nasty gate when second to Lion Tamer in the Underwood Stakes (1800m) from gate 12 (of 14) three starts back
- Ridden by in-form hoop Craig Williams who has the Caulfield Cup – Cox Plate winning double to his name this season
- You don’t win $2 million in prize money without boasting big race potential
- Is a winner at Flemington having taken out the Group 3 Mittys Vanity (1400m) here back in February
- Four-year-olds have won four of the past 10 Mackinnon Stakes so this works in her favour
- Comes back 400m in distance from the Caulfield Cup (2400m) – is this for or against but?
Why Southern Speed Won’t Win the 2011 Mackinnon Stakes
- Has an awkward barrier 10 of 14 draw to overcome, but note her second in the Underwood Stakes over 1800 m from barrier 12 of 14
- Having Williams in the mount may not be in her favour if his appeal gets turned down on Friday morning and he is outted from the Melbourne Cup
- Has had two runs over the 2000 metres but is yet to win, her best result being a third in the Group 1 Schweppes Oaks (2008m) at Morphettville in March when beaten three lengths by fellow Mackinnon Stakes rival #14 Lights Of Heaven ($13 Luxbet)
- Cox Plate is a better form race for the Mackinnon with seven of the past 11 winners having come through it and not the Caulfield Cup
- The last horse to win the Caulfield Cup – Mackinnon Stakes double was Paris Lane (1994) – the 10th in history to do so
- As a mare history is against her as the only Mackinnon Stakes winning mares have been La Bella Dama (2001), Champagne (1998), Let’s Elope (1991), Horlicks (1989) and Empire Rose (1988) in the past 37 years, but it was a similar story for the Caulfield Cup and she showed that hoodoo who’s boss!
- It is superstitious and silly, but hey, some of us like to see this stuff pointed out – she is Horse No. 13 one day out from Halloween!
Read enough to suggest Southern Speed will write the final chapter of her spring fairytale by winning the Mackinnon Stakes on Saturday?
With Luxbet you can bet with confidence on all four Group 1 Victoria Derby Day features as they also have an exclusive $250 Bonus Refund for Second special. Back a horse to Win, watch it run 2nd, get up to $250 back as a bonus refund bet but only at Luxbet!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.