In a field full of 2011 Melbourne Cup hopes, Jim Conlan’s honest galloper Rekindled Interest is certainly an interesting favourite in this Saturday’s $1 million Group 1 Mackinnon Stakes (2000m), but can the top elect salute in the major Victoria Derby Day support act and upset all those Cup-bound hopefuls?
The Mackinnon Stakes winner receives a ballot free ride into next Tuesday’s $6.2 million Emirates Melbourne Cup (3200m), but the exemption would be wasted on the favourite Rekindled Interest should they salute as they are not entered for Flemington’s most famous feature race.
Of the 14-horse Mackinnon Stakes field it is Redoute’s Choice four-year-old Rekindled Interest topping the Luxbet odds at a quote of $3.80.
This price has come out slightly from their opening quote of $3.50.
With many of their rivals more suited to handicap races over an increased distance, Rekindled Interest certainly has an advantage in the middle-distance, weight-for-age Mackinnon.
They were beaten over 12 lengths in the Derby 12 months ago when the rain came, but on Saturday Flemington is expected to be rated in the Dead range making this Rekindled Interest’s time to shine.
Gallant in all their runs this spring they come into the Mackinnon on the back of a luckless third to Pinker Pinker in the Cox Plate, many saying that with a better run Rekindled Interest would have won and may not have needed to go onto this race.
So can they rewrite their hard luck story from last year’s Derby Day and come home for the punters in the Mackinnon?
#12 Rekindled Interest – Horse Details
- Jockey: Dwayne Dunn
- Trainer: Jim Conlan
- Owners: Pinecliff Racing
- Age: 4YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Redoute’s Choice from Rekindled Affair (IRE)
- Career: 12:3-1-1
- Prize Money: $684,700
- Track: 4-0-1-0
- Distance: 3-1-0-1
- Dead: 6-3-1-1
- Current Mackinnon Stakes Odds: $3.80 Luxbet
Why Rekindled Interest Can Win the 2011 Mackinnon Stakes
- Comes via the right race with the Cox Plate producing seven of the past 11 Mackinnon Stakes winners
- Has drawn to perfect in barrier five, gives Dunn options in the running and barriers 5 – 8 have produced the most success in the past decade (four winners)
- Distance suits as they have won one of their three starts over 2000m (2010 AAMI Vase) and placed in another (Cox Plate 3rd)
- Dead track form is excellent with three wins and two placings from their six starts on dead ground
- Many of their rivals are suited to more ground
- Is the right age as a four-year-old with four of the past 10 Mackinnon Stakes saluting at this age
Why Rekindled Interest Cannot Win the 2011 Mackinnon Stakes
- Only has a fair Win Rate of 25% and faces rivals with a far better strike rate including Sincero (61.11%) and Wall Street (40.74%)
- Will be their fifth visit to Flemington and their only placing at the track was their second to Temple Of Boom in the Group 3 Aurie’s Star Handicap (1200m) back in August
- Face some very smart rivals including Cox Plate fourth placegetter Wall Street, Caulfield Cup winner Southern Speed and Glass Harmonium who will like WFA
- Only one horse has taken out the Dato Tan Chin Nam Stakes – Mackinnon Stakes double in the past decade, Lad Of The Manor (2005)
Whether you are backing or sacking the favourite here, Luxbet have your Mackinnon Stakes betting needs covered.
Back you favourite risk free with Luxbet’s exclusive $250 Refund Bonus Bet for Second open on every Group 1 race, including the Mackinnon, this Saturday.
Simply back a horse to Win at Luxbet and if they are second over the line get your stakes refunded as a bonus bet valued up to $250.