A top field of stayers are engaged to face off in the 2011 Moonee Valley Gold Cup at Cox Plate Day on Saturday, the race registered as the Drake International Cup this year, and below the Races.com.au team take a look at the form of the runners including clear favourite Americain and provide our insider tips.
Running as race six of nine on Saturday, the $250,000 Group 2 Drake International Cup (2500m) is due to jump at 4:00pm (AEDST).
The field of 12, down one following the early scratching of #3 Linton, is led by the Alain de Royer Dupre-trained reigning Melbourne Cup winner Americain.
Having their first start of the season on Saturday, Americain will go straight into the 2011 Melbourne Cup on Tuesday November 1 following tomorrow’s showdown.
Americain has been well-backed to win their Cox Plate Day assignment, the galloper in from $3.50 to $3.00 at Luxbet.
First-up off a two month break they reunite with their regular rider Gerald Mosse for the Drake International and will jump from barrier three as the 58kg equal topweight of the field with Jeff Lynd’s Kiwi raider Booming.
Americain is also the $8 favourite to win the $6.2 million Group 1 Melbourne Cup (3200m) for a second year in a row this spring, a price that will firm further should they salute for the punters on Saturday.
A good thing for Americain taking pressure off them tomorrow is that a Moonee Valley Gold Cup win is unlikely to attract a penalty from Racing Victoria’s chief handicapper Greg Carpenter for their second successive Melbourne Cup bid, the French raider already set to carry 58kg in the ‘race that stops a nation.’
“He is so well-weighted under these conditions that this is virtually a penalty-free race for Americain,” Carpenter said.
Carpenter went on to tip Americain as the horse to beat in the Moonee Valley Gold Cup.
“As a handicapper, under this weight scale, you’d expect him to run very, very well so if he was to go out and win the race that would bring nothing new to the table and his Melbourne Cup weight would most likely remain unchanged.”
That’s what the expert says.
What about the Moonee Valley Gold Cup odds?
Following Americian in the betting markets at Luxbet for Saturday’s clash are four other runners at single-figure odds with Gai Waterhouse’s Caulfield Cup third placegetter Tullamore ($4.20), Herbert Power Stakes winner Shewan ($6) and Bart Cummings’ German import Illo ($8).
We’ve heard from the experts, the above shows the betting picture, but what about the form?
Below the Races.com.au team take a better looks at the 2011 Drake International / Moonee Valley Gold Cup form guide and facts to reveal the best bets to lock in at Luxbet for the Cox Plate Day feature and key Melbourne Cup lead-up race.
Moonee Valley Race 6 Form Analysis – 2011 Drake International Cup Betting
- Last year’s Moonee Valley Gold Cup winner was the Bart Cummings-trained Precedence who jumped from barrier 10; this year Cummings will be represented by #6 Illo ($8 Luxbet) and #5 Shewan ($6 Luxbet) is drawn in gate 10
- Precedence came into the Moonee Valley Gold Cup on the back of a third place finish in the Herbert Power Stakes on the back of a third place finish to Linton in the Herbert Power Stakes; horses to come via the Herbert Power Stakes this year are Shewan (1st) and Anudjawun (5th)
- The only horse in the field to have won over the Track & Distance is #9 Pergola ($51 Luxbet) who is undefeated from their two starts at the Valley over 2500m
- Over the distance the horses with the best record are: #1 Americain (1-1-0-0), #2 Booming (2-0-1-1), #4 Tullamore (1-0-1-0), #9 Pergola (3-2-0-0) and #11 Swooper (4-1-0-1)
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #6 Illo (38.46%) followed by #1 Americain (36.00%) and #5 Shewan (33.33%)
- Horses with the best Place Percentages are #6 Illo (76.92%), #5 Shewan (73.33%) and #1 Americain (60.00%)
- At Moonee Valley the horses to beat are #9 Pergola (3-3-0-0), #11 Swooper (7-4-0-0) and #12 Montahlia (12-3-3-1)
- There are two last-start winners in the race with #5 Shewan (2400m, Caulfield, 08/10/2011) and #13 Lalla Rookh (2038m, Morphettville, 08/10/2011)
- The horse coming off the longest turnaround is #6 Illo (104 days) followed by #1 Americain (62 days)
- Horses backing up off a win just seven days ago are #2 Booming (5th in the Group 3 David Jones Cup over 2000m at Caulfield) and #4 Tullamore (3rd in the Group 1 Caulfield Cup over 2400m at Caulfield)
Based on the above the Races.com.au crew believe Americain is definitely the horse to beat in the Drake International Cup and are tipping them to win over Shewan, Illo and Pergola.
Races.com.au Drake International Cup Tip
- #1 Americain over #5 Shewwan #6 Illo and #9 Pergola – bet now at Luxbet
To lock in our selections on the 2011 Moonee Valley Gold Cup at the best prices in the country, head to Luxbet and open your new account quoting the code BONUSBET when depositing for a bonus bet valued up to $500!
2011 Drake International Cup Form Guide
Moonee Valley Race 6 – 22/10/2011
|1.||AMERICAIN||A De Royer-dupre||G Mosse||3||58||7yoH||62||$187,387||25: 9 3 3||36.00%||60.00%||x66x10|
|2.||BOOMING||J R Lynds||Dwayne Dunn||7||58||7yoG||7||$16,870||28: 8 6 2||28.57%||57.14%||2×0505|
|3.||LINTON||Robert Hickmott||Hugh Bowman||5||57||5yoG||20||$49,025||16: 3 2 4||18.75%||56.25%||23×760|
|4.||TULLAMORE||Ms G Waterhouse||Nash Rawiller||6||57||5yoG||7||$25,065||23: 5 6 4||21.74%||65.22%||218383|
|5.||SHEWAN||R W Smerdon||Chris Symons||10||57||5yoG||14||$17,238||15: 5 2 4||33.33%||73.33%||3×1621|
|6.||ILLO||J B Cummings||Luke Nolen||11||56.5||6yoH||104||$11,228||13: 5 3 2||38.46%||76.92%||x1421x|
|7.||HARRIS TWEED||M P Baker||Brad Rawiller||4||56||6yoG||20||$46,716||30: 4 5 5||13.33%||46.67%||x8x000|
|8.||PADDY O’REILLY||R W Smerdon||Craig Williams||1||56||6yoG||13||$14,199||22: 4 2 5||18.18%||50.00%||11×992|
|9.||PERGOLA||C and C Alderson||James Winks||13||55||7yoG||13||$8,158||25: 5 2 2||20.00%||36.00%||110×60|
|10.||ANUDJAWUN||S A Dwyer||Michael Rodd||12||55||6yoG||14||$5,987||17: 1 5 4||5.88%||58.82%||x00445|
|11.||SWOOPER||D I Dodson||Ben Melham||2||54||7yoM||20||$11,045||43: 10 6 4||23.26%||46.51%||312064|
|12.||MONTAHLIA||M C Kent||Dean Yendall||9||54||8yoM||21||$8,438||28: 6 4 3||21.43%||46.43%||212×00|
|13.||LALLA ROOKH||L Macdonald and A Gluyas||Clare Lindop||8||51||4yoM||14||$8,753||17: 4 3 2||23.53%||52.94%||x82131|
*Form Guide Credit Ladbrokes.com.au