Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
Since the 2011 Cox Plate field was released earlier this week, the genuine market mover seeing plenty of love from the punters is the Jim Conlan-trained Rekindled Interest, and here the Races.com.au team take a look at the form and facts on this Moonee Valley specialist to see if they are the best Cox Plate bet to make this Saturday.
After opening at a quote of $12 through Luxbet to take out this year’s edition of the $3 million Group 1 Cox Plate (2040m), which runs as Moonee Valley Race 8 at 5:35pm (AEDST)on Saturday, Redoute’s Choice four-year-old Rekindled Interest had such a strong influx of cash come in for them that they got as short as $6.50.
In the latest Cox Plate 2011 odds the Cranbourne-based galloper is paying $7 to become the Cox Plate winner, making them the third-favourite behind the Peter Snowden-trained three-year-old Helmet ($3.50 into $3.20) and gun Kiwi Jimmy Choux ($3.60 out to $5).
On Tuesday morning’s Breakfast with the Stars at Moonee Valley, Rekindled Interest hit the headlines when they got the better of Jimmy Choux in a track gallop which was when the betting plunge on them in the Cox Plate markets started.
Drawn to perfection in barrier three and a dual Group winner at the track, there is a lot to like about Rekindled Interest heading into Saturday’s intriguing weight-for-age clash.
Along with a confident Conlan, race jockey Dwayne Dunn is also impressed with Rekindled Interest and believes they may be hard to beat in the Cox Plate.
“I couldn’t be happier with his lead-up to this race,” Dunn said.
“His work this week has been excellent and has been trained to the minute to win a Cox Plate.
“Unlike other years, it will be a highly competitive Cox Plate because in the past two or three years it has had small fields with very few genuine chances.
“But as far as my mount (Rekindled Interest) goes, he loves the Valley, he’s at his peak, so you couldn’t ask for much more.”
So can Rekindled Interest reward all the punters that have supported them so heavily over the past few days? Or will Rekindled Interest get rolled in the 2011 Cox Plate results?
#9 Rekindled Interest – Horse Profile
- Jockey: Dwayne Dunn
- Trainer: Jim Conlan
- Owners: Pinecliff Racing
- Age: 4YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Redoute’s Choice (AUS) from Rainbow Quest (USA) mare Rekindled Affair (IRE)
- Career: 11: 3-1-0
- Prize Money: $464,700
- Track: 3-2-0-0
- Distance: 2-1-0-0
- Current Cox Plate Odds: $7 – Bet now at Luxbet
Why Rekindled Interest Can Become the 2011 Cox Plate Winner
- Is the right age and sex, statistically speaking, to win the Cox Plate as a four-year-old gelding; 4YO’s have won 26 Cox plate throughout history, giving them the best record of any age group, and geldings have won six of the past 10 editions of the Cox Plate
- Is considered a specialist at Moonee Valley having won two of their three starts at the track – the Group 2 AAMI Vase (2040m) last spring and the Group 2 Dato’ Tan Chin Nam Stakes (1600m) on September 10 this year – their only unplaced run being their first look at the Valley when fourth to Anacheeva in the Listed McKenzie Stakes (1200m) in August of 2010, which was also just their second career start
- Is a winner over the Cox Plate distance of 2040m in the 2010 AAMI Vase, which coincidently fell exactly 12 months ago on Saturday with the Vase being a major support race of Cox Plate Day
- Is one of only two horses in the race, along with #1 Efficient ($21 Luxbet), to win at the Track & Distance
- Was far from disgraced last-start when finishing four and a half lengths away fifth to December Draw in the Group 1 Turnbull Stakes (2000m) at Flemington on October 2
- Conlan got to select the ideal Cox Plate barrier three draw for them
- Addition of blinkers to their gear sharpened them up dramatically in their Tuesday gallop and should aid them well on Saturday
Why Rekindled Interest Won’t Become the 2011 Cox Plate Winner
- Faces an interesting and open field and all have genuine claims including special three-year-old Helmet, Jimmy Choux who will be keen to atone for their defeat in Tuesday’s gallop as well as some really in-form mares that history against them but the class to win including Epsom Handicap hero Secret Admirer and the Peter Moody-trained King’s Rose
- Compared to many others in the field, Rekindled Interest’s Win Rate of 27.27% is fairly unimpressive
After delving into Rekindled Interest’s form for the Cox Plate 2011, the Races.com.au team think they make an excellent Place Bet.
We think they can run second at least, so we are backing them to Win! Sound crazy? Well with Luxbet and their exclusive $250 2nd Place Refund Bet we can back a strong place chance in the Cox Plate, in fact in any Group 1 race this spring, to Win and if they run second on the day we will get our stakes refunded back as a free bet valued up to $250 – and you can too!
Just sign up with Luxbet today, it only takes five minutes and if you quote the exclusive promo code BONUSBET when making your first deposit you will also be eligible for a bonus $500 welcome bet, and get in on their exclusive Cox Plate Day betting offers.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.