He’s a horse with undoubted toughness and the ability to mix it with just about any stayer in the country and Hawk Island is a genuine chance at winning the 2011 Caulfield Cup tomorrow afternoon at Caulfield Racecourse.
He’s a horse that’s been overlooked by plenty of people and trainer Chris Waller has been able to fly pretty much under the radar leading up to the $2.5 million dollar event.
We’ve spotted him though and his lead up runs shows he’s just about ready to fire this weekend.
His last two races have been solid finishing second in both the Bacardi Hill Stakes behind Trusting and The Metropolitan behind The Verminator.
Most importantly for the seven year old is that they’ve come on good and dead tracks respectively, a vital point for a horse often pegged as only a mud runner.
He will have Glyn Schofield in the saddle and from gate 10 after emergencies come out he could jag a spot mid field.
If any rain falls over Caulfield it will no doubt be an advantage but on recent form he gives an indication that maybe it’s not compulsory.
If he gets across the ground Hawk Island is a real value chance for the 2011 Caulfield Cup with Luxbet.
Current fixed price odds have him listed at an appealing $26 fixed price.
Horse Facts – Hawk Island
- Jockey: Glyn Schofield
- Trainer: Chris Waller
- Owners: K Hunt
- Age: 7YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Hawk Wing out of Crimphill
- Career: 39 10-8-2
- Prize Money: $785,147
- Current Caulfield Cup Odds: $26 at Luxbet
Why Hawk Island Can Win the 2011 Caulfield Cup
- Looked the winner on the turn in the Sydney Cup but a race fall cost him any chance.
- Has been steadily improving and will be at peak fitness for tomorrow.
- Chris Waller is a fantastic middle distance trainer but has flown under the radar all week.
- Barrier could see him settle five back one off the fence, a perfect result.
Why Hawk Island Can’t Win The 2011 Caulfield Cup
- If it’s a good rated track plenty of others will handle it better than him.
- If he’s sluggish from the gates it could be all over instantly.
- Never won over 2400m from six attempts.
Hawk Island opened at $26 with online bookmaker Luxbet before coming into $21 and then back out to the opening quote again.
If you would like to secure these great Caulfield Cup dividends, make sure you open an account with Luxbet today.
Enter the exclusive promo code BONUSBET when you join and for a limited time only you could receive a bonus bet worth up to $500!
Also, once you are a Luxbet member, you can enjoy their fantastic best tote exotic +5% offer which gives you the best of the three tote prices plus an addition 5% bonus on all exotics placed this spring racing carnival 2011 on a race meet that included a Group 1 race.
So sign up with Luxbet to receive these great offers for yourself!